Butchering

Ooo that sounds easy! Whats that

It's the breaking of the neck via separation of the skull from the spine without the removal of the head (it remains attached by skin and tissues).

I haven't culled any birds yet but when I do, I want to try cervical dislocation AKA the broomstick method. Anyone have any luck with that?

I use it as a euthanasia method on non-meat birds, that is anything to small or sick to eat. It's very effective, instant, and painless. It also removes the bloody aspect (with birds who will not be eaten anyways) so it's great for first timers since slitting the throat can have the appearance of being very violent. Personally I don't use a broomstick at all; much easier to botch it. Instead I simply lay the bird on my lap with one hand around its feet and the other around its neck. You have to be suitably strong to do this with any manner of ease (for example I'm 5'4" but I also toss around #50 feed bags for a living) and even for a strong person it's not suitable for large roosters or any larger birds like turkeys or geese.

I haven't culled any birds yet but when I do, I want to try cervical dislocation AKA the broomstick method. Anyone have any luck with that?

Oh that doesnt seem so bad! Maybe i will do that at least for the first couple times, until i feel i can handle a step up. (I sound so mean) but i would love to raise my own meat birds.

Is it more expencive than buying in the store?

Okay. The deed is done...
All cleaned. Do i need to let it rest in the fridge before eating or is that only for older chickens?
Yes, definitely let it rest in the fridge from 1-3 days before freezing or eating. The waiting period allows the rigor mortis to pass. Move the leg around a bit- when it moves freely the rigor has passed.

Back
Top Bottom