Butler Bobwhite

Well I have to get some more first. I had 5 chicks that I hatched from JJ's eggs. Had a power failure and lost all 5 and a few cots. I will keep these in mind though. I do have a power out alarm now so hopefully it won't happen again

Quote:
part of getting big birds is like the old "cockers" used to do here is hatch 100's of birds and cull really hard keep the big ones and eat the small ones you want larger birds restrict their daylight to 8 hours a day and give them 16 hours of darkness never let their feed dish get empty do not let them mature sexually your birds will be even bigger lots of ways to get birds bigger only set the largest eggs etc etc

here is a youtube video of some of my bobwhites, 8 of the 13 are from JJ, imho, you can tell the biggerboys, the red hen is from a texas breeder.

Hey I am looking for some of jj's stock of the butler bobwhite, where can I contact jj?

Really interested in these large quail although it is a shame they take so long to reach the biblical size. Would love to free range on a small 20x20 fenced in garden area, since these bobwhites need space.

Lookin for biggest quail eggs really, but big birds for meat don't hurt either.

Hi FatDaddy!

Interesting thread and nice birds. I am a newbie, can you explain what you meant by black lights? Birds grow better at certain color and spectrum? If so can you elaborate?

Hi FatDaddy!

Interesting thread and nice birds. I am a newbie, can you explain what you meant by black lights? Birds grow better at certain color and spectrum? If so can you elaborate?
Good morning.... This thread is almost 3 years old. At that time there was a group of us that were experimenting with big birds and just how large we could get them....Both with butlers and coturnix. We all knew a lot of it would be unsustainable going in. But huge quail has been a goal as long as quail have been bred. Its fun to poke your friends in the eye with really big birds too! One theory, and old school practice with chickens, is to restrict the hrs of light birds are exposed too. We're talk'n like 8 hrs a day.... But the birds need to still be able to eat during the off hrs... Thats where the black light comes in.... A dim black light will allow a bird to be tended by the breeder and not effect the length of day hrs perceived by the bird. A yellow or blue, 25 watt "party bulb" works the same if its a good ways away from the birds..... By restricting the hrs of light so much, the birds remain in a pre-adolescent state longer. This allows the energy normally used for reproduction development to be used longer to build body mass. In coturnix, weeks 4 thur 7, they will gain as much as 55-60 grams a week. The longer you can hold them in this state, the larger they get. it works to a extent. But it is a environmental gain and does nothing to increase the genetic size of the line..... So you can have a pen full of bigger birds but chicks they produce will not carry the gain. It was fun at the time.... Bill

Last edited:
Thanks FatDaddy

So 8 hours of light a day. Rest of the time alow watt LED with a covering perhaps so light is minimum?

I am trying to breed up the genetics as well. At 4 week's the biggest cot here is 160g only.

Another problem with feed. Protein 19-20% broiler starter. That's the best in the whole country. I tried adding fishmeal but it started stinking sooo much sooo fast. Got down maggots too :(

Would you recommend something I can mix up with this broiler starter if I'm fattening up fpr meat?

Back
Top Bottom