Buttercups....

Mountain Sunshine

Songster
10 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Cleveland, Georgia
Our new darling little Buttercups.....Lucy & Ethel!

43442_dscn4135.jpg

43442_dscn4135.jpg

43442_dscn4142.jpg

They are soooo sweet. They make these little beeping noises. They follow me everywhere I go in the yard. And they stick with each other like glue! They never part from one another.

I raise Sicilian Buttercups, I'll get some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Depends on how many you have about the confinement. I find that if I have a hatch of mostly Buttercups, I have a problem with them escaping from their little brooder tractor or run. Once they are 4 weeks I have to really watch them. Once they start laying though all is well. But to give you an idea. My garden fence is 8 feet tall to try to keep them out. My 6 foot property fences I let overgrow high with Passion vines and other vines, to keep them in. That doesn't always work. They are lightweights and can fly high.

I have noticed that people that just have 1 or 2 dont have the issues that I do. Right now I have 6 hens and 1 Roo that are settled. 2 pullets that are flighty and 14 5 week olds with 8 S BC/Crosses. They are behaving better than the batch that the 2 flighty ones came from (mostly S BC's).

Found out my camera was brooken, had to borrow one. Here are few of the girls. Sorry no real close ups.
19 week old Sicilian Buttercup Pullet, getting ready to start laying soon.
17739_101_0010.jpg

The Roos tail and 2 of his hens and a NHR.
17739_101_0011.jpg

6 week old babies at the end of their tractor run. In a few weeks they will graduate to the run were the Roo is with his Hens in the next picture.
17739_101_0009.jpg

Sicilian Buttercups, Roo with Hens
17739_101_0008.jpg

This is Pretty Girl, a Sicilian Buttercup crossed with an Ameraucana that is Black and Gold. She is my favorite EE, also 19 Weeks old.
17739_101_0005.jpg

Last edited:
I had one and she was no problem. She was brooded in a 4 feet tall box with a door in it. She didn't try to get out at all, and was kept with guineas and salmon faverolles. Big Mama was her name very tame and very sweet, she too followed me around, miss you big girl.

I have 14 of them at the moment and they are so pretty...I really like them...they are confined at the moment to an 8'X20' dog run for their own safety...they seem to be doing well with it and are friendly...they always come runnning to the gate to see what I have brought for them...not at all spooky tho I was told they would be...I have spent lots of time with them so maybe that is the difference...will check and see if I have a photo saved to post...

here they are...

34215_dscn3473.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom