BYC Android App!!!!

Pics
I dunno if it's connected to the 'resume app, refreshes automatically' part, but now I can't upload any pics... as soon as I choose a pic instead of the loading circle it refreshes the page and I lose the pic and post... :/

Other than that, the new stuff is good, lol... :thumbsup

Thanks, will be fixed in build 51 for sure.

I dunno if it's connected to the 'resume app, refreshes automatically' part, but now I can't upload any pics... as soon as I choose a pic instead of the loading circle it refreshes the page and I lose the pic and post...
hmm.png

Other than that, the new stuff is good, lol...
thumbsup.gif

Okay, I've pushed out build 51. Fixed the image upload issue above, and also added the Camera option for Android 5 users. My testing of image uploads worked on every version of Android, even version 6, which isn't readily available yet. I also added the context menus, and the ability to open an image full screen, or download it. This should make it unnecessary to ever need to switch to a browser, because the equivalent functionality (or better) should be in-app now, even for the small stuff, like copying/pasting.

Regarding the issue of not being able to login. I was able to replicate it on my Android 3 emulator, and after a lot of testing I concluded that the issue was the spellchecker. I think it was adding spaces, and it was really difficult on a smaller screen not to click the suggested popup, but I was able to get it working. It very well may help to install the Google keyboard from the Play store. All this is updated in the FAQ:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/byc-android-app

Last edited:
Okay, I've pushed out build 51. Fixed the image upload issue above, and also added the Camera option for Android 5 users. My testing of image uploads worked on every version of Android, even version 6, which isn't readily available yet. I also added the context menus, and the ability to open an image full screen, or download it. This should make it unnecessary to ever need to switch to a browser, because the equivalent functionality (or better) should be in-app now, even for the small stuff, like copying/pasting.

Regarding the issue of not being able to login. I was able to replicate it on my Android 3 emulator, and after a lot of testing I concluded that the issue was the spellchecker. I think it was adding spaces, and it was really difficult on a smaller screen not to click the suggested popup, but I was able to get it working. It very well may help to install the Google keyboard from the Play store. All this is updated in the FAQ:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/byc-android-app

I'm still havingissues with the refresh. On an long hold which would usually highlight my text for copy and paste I get a refresh popup option. I'm also having trouble with the app refreshing when I leave it to copy a link to paste into a message -- when I return to the app (within seconds) it refreshes and I lose everything I had typed.

Any news on speeding up the keyboard? Mine is painfully slow to the point that I almost can't type at all

I'm still havingissues with the refresh. On an long hold which would usually highlight my text for copy and paste I get a refresh popup option. I'm also having trouble with the app refreshing when I leave it to copy a link to paste into a message -- when I return to the app (within seconds) it refreshes and I lose everything I had typed.

Any news on speeding up the keyboard? Mine is painfully slow to the point that I almost can't type at all

Check the new FAQ, where there is a link for updating your keyboard. It certainly isn't necessary on all phones, but would probably be an excellent upgrade on most Android 4.x devices.

Kukupecpec and I have already discussed this issue in messaging, but for the sake of posterity...
The 4.4.2 upload issue (also in the FAQ) will, unfortunately, not be fixed at this time. It might be addressed in a future release if I can find a suitable work-around, but I've already researched this numerous times. The problem is that in Android 4.4.2 Google switched to the Chromium webview, and for one reason or another they removed the FileChooser API. Patches for the OS should add the FileChooser API back in, but Google doesn't release patches directly to users, the provider (i.e. Verizon, ATT) is responsible for patching Android. The bottom line is that providers don't care about obsolete OS's, and focus on upcoming versions instead. [Please also be aware that security patches for your device are an issue the same as bug fixes like this--in fact a much larger issue].

The refresh issues will be remedied in the next update, which is basically already done.

Last edited:
Check the new FAQ, where there is a link for updating your keyboard. It certainly isn't necessary on all phones, but would probably be an excellent upgrade on most Android 4.x devices.

Kukupecpec and I have already discussed this issue in messaging, but for the sake of posterity...
The 4.4.2 upload issue (also in the FAQ) will, unfortunately, not be fixed at this time. It might be addressed in a future release if I can find a suitable work-around, but I've already researched this numerous times. The problem is that in Android 4.4.2 Google switched to the Chromium webview, and for one reason or another they removed the FileChooser API. Patches for the OS should add the FileChooser API back in, but Google doesn't release patches directly to users, the provider (i.e. Verizon, ATT) is responsible for patching Android. The bottom line is that providers don't care about obsolete OS's, and focus on upcoming versions instead.  [Please also be aware that security patches for your device are an issue the same as bug fixes like this--in fact a much larger issue].

The refresh issues will be remedied in the next update, which is basically already done.

So I went to the FAQ to update my keyboard and found another little issue - nothing happens when I click on links (i checked on a couple other threads and sure enough I can click on the link and it darkens but nothing happens) shouldn't clicking on links open my browser and load the link? Is this an app issue or a problem with my tablet?

So I went to the FAQ to update my keyboard and found another little issue - nothing happens when I click on links (i checked on a couple other threads and sure enough I can click on the link and it darkens but nothing happens) shouldn't clicking on links open my browser and load the link? Is this an app issue or a problem with my tablet?

It should open the external links outside of the app. This functionality hasn't really changed since the first version. Since they are play store links it should give you the option to open in the Play store, or a browser.

Oh yea, and you can always get to the FAQ from inside the app by just clicking About App from the menu.

It should open the external links outside of the app. This functionality hasn't really changed since the first version. Since they are play store links it should give you the option to open in the Play store, or a browser.

Oh yea, and you can always get to the FAQ from inside the app by just clicking About App from the menu.

I got to the FAQ but the links to the keyboard could be clicked but didn't take me anywhere

Back
Top Bottom