BYC Café

I looked after both of my grandmothers for awhile. Dad's mom was fine. Mother's mom was horrible. Within a couple months, I made my mom come home to take care of her own danged mother. My dad was working in California, so she was there with him. I had 3 young kids of my own to care for at the time, and didn't really need her mother's nonsense. She kept throwing herself on the floor, trying to hurt herself bad enough to be hospitalized. The main floors were carpeted, and I had thick padding under the carpets. She couldn't really hurt herself much, but it didn't stop her from trying. My grandfather, her husband, fell and broke his hip. He was in the hospital for a hip replacement, followed by physical therapy to regain the ability to walk. She was worried that he was going to cheat on her with a nurse, and she was jealous because he was getting so much attention from the doctors, and nurses, and she wasn't. She had difficulty walking, because she had suffered a stroke a couple years earlier. She had to use a walker, and even with the walker, needed a bit of help getting around.

I had to get a hospital bed with side rails, because she would roll herself off the bed, and onto the floor, as I said, the floors had thick padding, and carpeting, so she really couldn't hurt herself, but she weighed about 280 pounds. When trying to pick her up off the floor, she would go totally limp. It took 2 - 3 strong men to lift her dead weight up off the floor. I had no alternative but to call in the paramedics to help lift her. She constantly complained she had to go to the bathroom. At first, I'd help her get to the bathroom, get her on the pot, and tell her to call me when she was done. Remember, I had 3 young children to take care of too. She wouldn't call me. She would try to stand up, then throw herself on the floor, because the bathroom was not carpeted. One of the times she did this, she hit her head hard on the bathtub. Her eyes rolled up in her head. I thought she was dead. Scared the heck out of me. I called the paramedics. She had only knocked herself out, but had a big gash where her head hit. They took her to the emergency room, and she got stitches. After that, I learned I had to stand there, and wait for her. She really didn't need to go to begin with, she just wanted to hurt herself, so she'd wait, and wait, and wait. She knew sooner, or later, I'd have to go tend to my kids. We tried the portable potty thing, by her bed. She refused to use it. Finally, I had her doctor order a catheter. and got some adult diapers for her. When she'd cry to go to the bathroom every 3 minutes, I told her to stay in her chair, and she could go right there. This behavior continued, and after 2 months, I threw in the towel. Around that time, it was time for my grandfather to come home, but he needed care too.

That's when I told my mother it was her, and her sister's job to care for her parents. I refused. She was asking too much of me. I had my own family to care for, and it was not fair to them either. Of course, it was out of the question to expect her sister to help. I threatened to sign them into an elderly care facility, if she didn't come home to care for them. She did come home, and took care of them until my grandfather was good enough to go home, and take care of her, and himself. We did have someone come in 3 times a week to help with the housekeeping, and cooking. They had a lawn service, so there was no yard work. They did fine, until she died, then my grandfather moved in with my parents. He lived with them for years.
It was very good of you to try.

Sounds like the stroke messed her up mentally...of maybe she was always a bit of a crank?

Raised and showed Cocker spaniels for years. Never had bad ear problems with them.But then I would check my dogs out once a week or more often if concerned. Believe me Cockers probably have longest ear leathers of any breed - and drop ears don't get air like prick ears do. I would always trim hair on the inside of the ear flap , and use a hair puller (hemostat) to pull actual hair growing in the top most area of the ear canal.

If you stick to a routine, you will find it gets easier and quicker to do. Much better than waiting for hideous ear infections, stench and all the goop dripping out :sick. Easier to prevent problems than treat them.

hhhmmmm did I meet you then :confused: loved the breed had a few really bad temperaments in the early 90' s good breeders fixed that really did love their breed

KD, Golden Retrievers are very active dogs and love to run and play fetch. I have a friend who had two and they are always wanting to go out and play. Most Goldens i have seen do not have coats that need constant grooming. Unless out in the woods where they might pick up burrs. They are quite smart and do well in obedience training. They want a lot of attention. If no one in the family spends a lot of time outside you might consider a smaller breed.
We considered getting goldens but between hip and skin problems we passed. Any dog with drop ears can have ear infection issues as well.

Well, we are kind of lazy and indoors a lot BUT I used to love hiking and still do and want to get into it again. And I've also always wanted a dog that I can train in obedience or a sport like agility or dock diving and do stuff with like hiking or biking, walks, etc. Gator is pretty easy to train once I found what motivates him (food) but he's lazy and if he doesn't want to work anymore, he won't. I would love to have a dog with the desire to do it. He also isn't that good with other dogs, or at least when I handle him, and is so big, so he doesn't go many places. It would be nice to have one I could take everywhere even if we didn't do much exercise or activities. And my brother and his girlfriend are very active and outdoorsy with hiking, mountain biking, skiing, kayaking, etc. etc. So if it turns out they need crazy exercise, he can do it. Although I have heard they don't need that much exercise and are happy being couch potatoes/cuddling with their people? But that is compared to Labs. I suppose Golden do at least need some exercise, being retrievers. But supposedly Labs are kind of crazy and HAVE to have it whereas it's not quite as big a deal if you miss a day with a Golden?

Not that I would neglect the exercise needs.

I do prefer bigger breeds for the calmer, cuddler nature too but maybe there are good small breeds.

That's good to know about the grooming though

Raised and showed Cocker spaniels for years. Never had bad ear problems with them.But then I would check my dogs out once a week or more often if concerned. Believe me Cockers probably have longest ear leathers of any breed - and drop ears don't get air like prick ears do. I would always trim hair on the inside of the ear flap , and use a hair puller (hemostat) to pull actual hair growing in the top most area of the ear canal.

If you stick to a routine, you will find it gets easier and quicker to do. Much better than waiting for hideous ear infections, stench and all the goop dripping out :sick. Easier to prevent problems than treat them.

Thanks for the info! I figured prevention would probably be best or that it was diet or allergies but he seems to think every golden even from good breeders gets them or is prone to them . Maybe you just need to be more on top of it like you said

hhhmmmm did I meet you then :confused: loved the breed had a few really bad temperaments in the early 90' s good breeders fixed that really did love their breed

Cockers seem like a good breed but I heard they can be crazy? Energy/personality wise, like hyper and goofy and energetic I suppose. Not crazy as in psycho or unpredictable or bad tempered. I maybe chose the wrong word there. Or maybe it was the field cockers that were a little bit more spazzy

as with any breed it is the breeder not the breed maybe look into medium like spaniels or a flat coat retriever

That's very true. And I heard flat coated were a pretty good breed and calm etc.

I wonder if the other breeds are energetic though? My dad seems to think spaniels are really hyper and crazy

Back
Top Bottom