BYC Café

I can't get out of bed without the little girl following me. She's my little white shadow.
My puggle is like a body growth. When I'm gone for a night she won't eat and stares out the window. My husband bribes her with burgers and everything. She rarely is left home without me being there. She's 10 and I've had her since she was 5 weeks. She was emaciated and full of fleas and ticks the day I got her. She ate a steak the first day I had her 😂 since then she's been my best friend.

Yeah I can't wait until mine can hatch some because I have a spare coop they can use that I can lock everyone away from. First broody I see I'm sticking her in it with some eggs 😂

Then they can hatch all my eggs for me and care for the chicks so I have zero Mama hen responsibilities and can enjoy the chicks more. Only thing I have to do is feed and water the hen which I do every day anyways. No worrying if the chicks are too cold or if I need to assist an egg!
Why lock her away?? Keep her in a ground nest inside the coop. It can be sectioned off to keep other hens from laying in the nest. I kept Barb in the built-in brooder in my coop and took her off the nest at feeding times (twice daily). I opened the door to the brooder on day 2 after the chicks hatched and she did the rest.
momma and babies first day out.jpg
broody girl on new nest 2.jpg

The kids met dad on day three. He is awesome with the youngsters.

No pullet dared get within 7 feet of those chicks without getting run off by Barb. She was ruthless. Interestingly, she allowed one of the hens to peck a chick. It was a curiosity peck and didn't harm it. She also let her BFF, Astrid, my very broody BA, in to see the chicks first.

I will allow Astrid to hatch some eggs this year if she goes broody again.

Poor Astrid has just started her molt. It looks to be a severe one like Draco had. I have two more that haven't started molting yet.

Why lock her away?? Keep her in a ground nest inside the coop. It can be sectioned off to keep other hens from laying in the nest. I kept Barb in the built-in brooder in my coop and took her off the nest at feeding times (twice daily). I opened the door to the brooder on day 2 after the chicks hatched and she did the rest.
View attachment 2009756View attachment 2009757
The kids met dad on day three. He is awesome with the youngsters.

No pullet dared get within 7 feet of those chicks without getting run off by Barb. She was ruthless. Interestingly, she allowed one of the hens to peck a chick. It was a curiosity peck and didn't harm it. She also let her BFF, Astrid, my very broody BA, in to see the chicks first.

I will allow Astrid to hatch some eggs this year if she goes broody again.

Poor Astrid has just started her molt. It looks to be a severe one like Draco had. I have two more that haven't started molting yet.
So do the other chickens have access to the nest she's on?

The other coop I have is connected to my run so she could see the others and everything. Just no one would be disturbing her.

I like how you did that nest! I'm going to take a screenshot of it so I remember!

So do the other chickens have access to the nest she's on?

The other coop I have is connected to my run so she could see the others and everything. Just no one would be disturbing her.

I like how you did that nest! I'm going to take a screenshot of it so I remember!
I tried to break Barb of her broodiness but she just got worse as we went along so I relented. That is a very makeshift nest I made for her in the brooder. I will make a different nest box for the upcoming season and fit it into the brooder.

I left the door from the coop to the brooder open at all times until the chicks hatched but that probably wasn't necessary. This year, I'll leave it open all the time. It's open just wide enough for a chicken to get through. Occasionally, I'd find someone on Barb's nest when she was off taking a break and I'd just gently remove her and put her in a nest box.

Some of the hens would come into the brooder and go out to the brooder run, I think just to check it out but that didn't bother Barb. She'd just puff up to let them know to stay away from her. The pullets that spent the first 4 weeks of their lives in the brooder never dared go in. They got an entirely different reaction from Barb if they even came near the door.

Back
Top Bottom