BYC Café

I've got a bit about such observations in the book. I've even got a half finished article for BYC. However, as is common with much of the stuff I observe it goes against the established view and usual advice from those who give it.
I guess there must be some common ground between all the species in this respect.
Humans for example are generally empathetic towards an injured person. A diseased person however is often shunned and it wasn't that long ago the diseased were driven out of society.
I think chickens are much the same. This does however pose some interesting questions about chicken intelligence that many do not want to face.
I've yet to see 'the group' attack an injured chicken here. In fact, Ruffles (a hen) had a limp and it does put her at a disadvantage. Fat Bird (they've been friends for years) will wait for Ruffles if the terrain is difficult. None of the others try to bully Ruffles and her place in the hierarchy is secure.
When Fray (another hen) pissed off Dink (Frays mum) enough, Dink who is a hell on wings fighting female, beat the crap out of her daughter; there were very good reasons why she did this. But, despite the blood and injuries to Frays comb and wattles nobody else attacked her or even looked like they were going to have a curios peck.
I've got lots more examples. Interestingly my vet here gave me the advice to get the injured back with the flock as soon as possible.

Good morning Shad. Once again, your observations are right on!

I have an injured hen, the roo is young and still figuring things out and she's a Naked Neck. He's managed to put a gash in the back of her head.

While I have treated the injury with blu-kote, none of the other girls have gone after her. In fact they make an effort to go visit her from time to time and if she ventures into the big yard they all gather round like she's their long lost friend.

On the flip side, my flock has attacked and even killed lone pigeons that look fine but for whatever reason aren't able to fly away. I've suspected disease in these cases because there's no obvious injury.

PS-thanks for the coffee!

Thanks for the coffee Deb, I'm going to help myself to a mug this morning!

As for reading novels, I've really done very little over the last 10 years. Used to read all the time. I think the most reading I've done the last couple years are farming books (and a ridiculous amount of on-line articles).
When I was really young I loved reading sci-fi. I think I read every Issac Asimov book they had at the library.
I'm just not sure what I feel like reading these days.

No names for the chickens around here, other then descriptors needed in conversation and for unique situations. But they're not pets, so a stew hen without a name is probably best. I feel like I barely know my chickens right now; my husband took over as keeper months ago. But I'll get back into the swing of things come spring! (Spring...feels like some distant memory when starring down the rest of February)

Good morning Cafe.

Last night, I went to a cookie class. It was so fun. I'm not disappointed with my first attempts at decorating them. Of course, practice makes perfect. It does help if my granddaughter doesn't try grabbing them before they're dry, too.

20190205_223310.jpg

Good morning Cafe.

Last night, I went to a cookie class. It was so fun. I'm not disappointed with my first attempts at decorating them. Of course, practice makes perfect. It does help if my granddaughter doesn't try grabbing them before they're dry, too.

View attachment 1665118
They're lovely! Good job.

Thanks for the coffee Deb, I'm going to help myself to a mug this morning!

As for reading novels, I've really done very little over the last 10 years. Used to read all the time. I think the most reading I've done the last couple years are farming books (and a ridiculous amount of on-line articles).
When I was really young I loved reading sci-fi. I think I read every Issac Asimov book they had at the library.
I'm just not sure what I feel like reading these days.

No names for the chickens around here, other then descriptors needed in conversation and for unique situations. But they're not pets, so a stew hen without a name is probably best. I feel like I barely know my chickens right now; my husband took over as keeper months ago. But I'll get back into the swing of things come spring! (Spring...feels like some distant memory when starring down the rest of February)

As for the chickens, you've had a lot going on this winter what with the new baby coming. Spring will get here yet!

Good morning Cafe.

View attachment 1665118

They're lovely GAC! I've tried to teach myself how to decorate cookies...let's just say I need a class and leave it at that. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom