BYC Café

"They" are saying Bora, not Gale, not Chinook,
What I just looked up on "bora" sounds pretty serious! Uprooted trees, roofs ripped off. Be safe!
I might could learn to love Ground Hogs if their favorite food was Autumn Olive.
:lau
but I hate the pungency of the blossoms and the fact that they are 'invasive'.
They are everywhere here. I don't hate them for two reasons: We have 25 acres, and the honeybees LOVE them.

At the bee meeting, the presenter (an arborist/beekeeper) said that autumn olive is the "perfect" invasive. Birds eat the fruit, poop out the seeds in the perfect condition for sprouting. Chop it down? It grows back and spreads. Dig it out? ANY bit of root can survive and grow a new plant.

We have chopped some down, and yep, they come back every time. The most we can hope for is to keep them (slightly) in check. Any twiglet that comes up in the gardens gets pulled out.

Another thing I have to stay ahead of is walnut. Squirrels bury the nuts, and when they come up in the garden, I am relentless.

Chop it down? It grows back and spreads. Dig it out? ANY bit of root can survive and grow a new plant.
Oh, I am well aware.
Cut/break it and it branches even wider and larger.
15 acres here that I cut trails all over for walking/skiiing.
One good thing about it is that it breaks fairly easily(as long as you don't grab a thorn), I was always breaking off branches that grew into the trails while walking/mowing/skiiing/snowmobiling.
It will take over the world!!

Good morning, and thanks for the coffee. Fresh croissants are just out of the oven. Back when the beagle club was established at its present site, the state recommended/provided autumn olive. tartarian honeysuckle, and multiflora rose as cover/feed for rabbits. Three invasives that have done quite well.

Last edited:
Good morning Cafè. Coffee is ready.

I put the dogs out this morning and it was absolutely pouring! I thought today was going to be our first sunny day?
I spread 6 wheelbarrow loads of mulch around the pond yesterday and got about halfway done. That's all I could manage on my own.
And that's a small fraction of what needs to be mulched.
Today, I'm switching gears and cleaning out the coop.

Back
Top Bottom