BYC members in Massachusetts?

Around this time of year Momma fox kicks her kits out and this is when you see the young hunting during day light hours.I had a Cooper's hawk take 4 of my hens last fall so I only let them free range while I am out there.I had a red fox chasing my Bo around my pool furniture during the middle of the day I had to smack it with my pole skimmer.I preadator Hunt all winter during our Coyote,fox season that starts in October we have some local farmers that ask for our services too help keep them in check.If anyone needs help and you have enough space between your neighbors we call them in with a digital caller and do our hunting at night with night vision device.
Thanx

I'm in south eastern MA, I have about 250 chickens. I usually get 12-15 dozen a day. Just recently they came to almost a total halt in egg laying, down to 5 dozen a day. No change in diet or routine. What the heck is happening????? Anyone else in the area experiencing a decrease in egg production? Any thoughts???
I have 7 laying hens, and I only get about 1 or two eggs a day. I started a thread about it and was informed that they were going through a molt. Not long after that, I went out to the coop to find hundreds of feathers laying around. Sure enough, my hens are molting. I like to collect the feathers for crafting purposes.
Good luck with your birds.
smile.png

lovie chick here from the western part of the state. Only been a member for a couple of weeks and there is some pretty cool stuff on this site. I have twelve girls and they are all awesome. So you are not all alone.

Good news! I have re-enforced my fence and restrung my fishing line over the pen. I have started playing music all the time and started lighting the coop on the winter schedule. The girls are now feeling safe again and producing eggs again. Darn predators
1f620.png
First time and the last time I let my guard down.

If any one is looking for birds, I am selling a few of mine. Please send a PM.

Turkeys-- full grown purebreds-- 1 bourbon red tom, 2 narriganset, 2 auburn at $50 each
4-5 month olds purebreds and mixed breeds at $25 each

PUllets and hens-- some pure bred, some mixed. 1-2 years old. 2 or more birds at $15 each. No single birds please as they need a buddy. I will put a few in a pen, my choice, and you can pick the ones you want.

I need to re-home my two silkie roos. :(
Unfortunatly they are getting too loud for our neighborhood and I need to find someone who can take them. I got them when they were a day old and have hand raised them. They are both friendly and calm. One is white the other is black.
Please contact me if you are interested in them or have any ideas on where I can place them. We are located in Billerica

Hi mass peeps , good mews new chicken swap starting up in Townsend ma check out the link, I do need post up the address ect..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/820691/townsend-farmers-exchange-chicken-swap

This weekend sept 21 & 22, 9 am to noon, chickeb swap at farmers exchange townsend ma 01469 on rt 13, sept 21 also healthy pet day event 9 am to 4 pm, free hay test, seminar on the ageing horse, come join us, setup your chickens rabbits crafts ect... There is no fee, free to setup, poultry musy accimpony a health testing certificate or npip number in order to be sold.

Daylight has been gradually decreasing since the summer solstice, and today is the first full day of fall, so it could be that your hens are just reducing their egglaying because of the shorter daylight. My flock is also laying less right now, including my ducks that have been laying since March.

Unless your flock has an "invisible" disease like epidemic tremor - which can cause a sudden drop in egglaying - it probably is the simplest reason, that daylight is shorter. My guess, anyway. :)

Back
Top Bottom