BYC members in Massachusetts?

Hi everyone! Does anyone here use sand as a bedding in their coop? I'm having trouble finding a good place to buy suitable sand locally. I hear "washed coarse river sand" is what works best. Does anyone know where I could find something like that nearby? I'm in Essex County.

Hi everyone! Does anyone here use sand as a bedding in their coop? I'm having trouble finding a good place to buy suitable sand locally. I hear "washed coarse river sand" is what works best. Does anyone know where I could find something like that nearby? I'm in Essex County.

Try finding a sand/gravel placesl, think its a quarry. They should have it and usually for pretty cheap. Or a landscaping place. Or sand from the hardware store works, play sand might work too

Good morning! I am up in Ashby
big_smile.png
I am a new chicken owner, and a new New Englander! We have only had one winter here, and of course, this last winter was pretty mild. I grew up in South Dakota, but spent the last 15 years in NC, thanks to the Army. Soooo...I'm looking for some thoughts on making sure the coop is ready for the winter. I know some people insulate, some don't. Some provide heat lamps, some don't. I didn't use a heat lamp when they were babies ~ we used the heating pad. I am working on making sure the coop is draft proof. I do have ventilation near the roof, but I think it may be too much, and might let in too much cold air.
Can you share some things that have worked for you? What about something that didn't work? I appreciate it! And my ladies (and gents!) will thank you, too!!!

Welcome!! Beautiful flock. And imo there is no such thing as too much ventilation, the more the better. And in fact, the cold air is much less of a concern than the hot humid air that can build up without enough ventilation. Although that being said you do need to make sure that the vents aren't blowing on the roosts. The roosts should be at least 12-18 inches below the vents so it doesn't blow on them but still above the nest boxes. I have heard some say there should be a 1 square foot of ventilation per bird (permanent, open all the time unlike windows) but idk how true that is. Besides that i dont think they need insulation or heat. I don't do either though i only got mine in October. And actually i did bring them in 2 nights when it was -5 out and -30 windchill but they were babies and the coop is a junk coop, with the new one we're building and now they're older i wont do that. Insulation I think can make the coop too warm and trap moisture which they dont need but then again with the proper ventilation it might not do that and might just take the edge off the cold which could be good but not necessary. But heat I wouldn't use because if the power goes out or something then they aren't acclimated to the cold and could get sick or die.

I have a new problem that I could use some info with. Some of my chickens combs are turning black. They look dirty but it doesn't come off. They still act normal but I'm little cocerned.

I've heard it could be that but I haven't seen any increase in pecking. The other thing I read was that it could be frostbite, but obviously its July so not frostbite. Could it be related to the heat?

Back
Top Bottom