BYC members in Massachusetts?

Pics
Howdy all! I have a hen that has gone broody and I was thinking of getting some hatching eggs for her. First, any experts believe this may be a bad idea? If not, anyone in metro west selling hatching eggs? I prefer laying breeds but I'm not picky.

Thanks all!
I sell hatching eggs-- some are fairly inexpensive, just a combo of good layers. I'll PM you.

Hello all my fellow New Englanders :) So glad to have found this thread!
ya.gif
There's such a mass of information on here, and being a newbie to trying to raise chickens, it's stressing me out. I was wondering if you could tell me where you bought your chicks. I am only looking for 3-5 females, and I don't want to have them shipped from TX or somewhere far. I'd rather buy locally. Any suggestions? I was thinking Orps, Sussex, maybe a BR. Also, do I have to run wiring to my coop to keep it warm (or to keep the water from freezing) during the winter? Thanks
I just went to Erickson's Grain Mill in Acton today to get feed and they had a variety of chicks - didn't ask what breeds, but you could call - they were ALL adorable of course :)

ya.gif
There's such a mass of information on here, and being a newbie to trying to raise chickens, it's stressing me out. I was wondering if you could tell me where you bought your chicks. I am only looking for 3-5 females, and I don't want to have them shipped from TX or somewhere far. I'd rather buy locally. Any suggestions? I was thinking Orps, Sussex, maybe a BR. Also, do I have to run wiring to my coop to keep it warm (or to keep the water from freezing) during the winter? Thanks
What kind of chicks do you want? You don't mention where you are located or how far you would be able to travel. Many people do not heat during the winter(I don't). You may feel more comfortable getting a cold hardy breed. Would you like good layers? Yes! So many questions. Keep doing research and decide. You will be fine!!

ya.gif
Hi and welcome. I got my chicks from Agway in Danvers. We did lose one but everyone is healthy. I've also heard good things about http://ashleyschickens.com/, he Dad is actually the manager at the Agway that we bought our girls at.

TSC is Tractor Supply - we go to ones in Brentwood, Plaistow and Derry NH but am not sure where there are any in MA. There is Essex CoOp in Topsfield for chicks and also depending on where you live Dodge Grain in Salem, NH gets regular shipments and you can check their webpage for what they may have or will be getting.

Back
Top Bottom