BYC members in Massachusetts?

I'm not sure where hubbardston is, but I'm in Abington and have a few unsexed buff silkie chicks. I have photos on my Facebook page http://Facebook.com/silkieladies

I only have 6 right now and I keep getting emails about them so I'm not sure how long we'll have them for. I plan to hatch a few more come Spring, but things are pretty much wrapping up here for the year.

Curious if any of you know about chicken allergies? After brooding a few hatches of chicks in my house I finally realized I'm allergic to the dust. My throat closes up and feels like a big lump. Well stupid me decided to get a couple parakeets. It's not an allergy I grew up with and I sometimes forget I have it. Plus, I'm not sure if it's just chickens.
Well today I wake up with what seems a mild cold, but it could just be the weather. What's your opinion on this? If I'm allergic to the chick dust do you think that means I'm allergic to all birds or just chickens?

It could be an allergy to birds in general, or maybe the bedding? I put my chicks on fleece and wash it daily. I am not sure what you would be allergic to with birds? Cats and dogs have have dander which can cause allergies, but I am not familiar with birds.

I was very sick for an entire winter and didn't realize I was allergic to hay! I was fostering rabbits in my finished basement and know had an allergy to the rabbits but it was the hay also and I didn't realize how bad until they were gone.

I'm thinking of maybe having an allergy test done (once I find a doctor) I pay all this money for health insurance and never go, might as well use it.

Make sure the tests are very specific. I was told " feather alergy" which is not very helpful" chicken, duck or turkey?? lol

Loratadine is over the counter and very helpful to my alergies.

ALso, the foods you eat can either agrivate the allergies, or alleviate some of the symptomns. Log your food intake for a week--see if the high carb foods like potatos, chips, juice, non-diet soda, chocolate milk, bread, cookies, breaded meats, is more than a third of your intake. FOr most p eople it is 40-60 percent of their diet.. Or you can just change up what is on your plate to 1/4 meat and 1/4 low carb vegies like salad, green beans, celery, okra, and other vegies that are less than 4 carbs per serving. THe last 1/4 is filled potatos, yams, corn , peas, and other startchy vegies. See if you can give up the refined carbohydrate food for a month and see how you feel. You might have a little more energy too.

Edited-- sorry portions should be 1/4 meat, 1/2 low carb vegies and 1/4 high carb veg

Last edited:
You definitely could be allergic to chickens (or generally to birds) - the tiny flakes of keratin that they shed off new feathers growing in, and they shed skin flakes all the time too. It can make a fine dust in the air.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom