BYC members in Massachusetts?

Pics
I"ve been MIA for a few months but I'm back. Residing in beautiful, snowy Fitchburg. My flock got wiped out about 2 weeks ago, still deciding what to do for replacements. I have to wait until spring though to redo the run and coop door.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that!
sad.png
Do you know what got them?
We've had coyote tracks all over our yard from the back woods lately. I think we have a pack living there. I'm still trying to decide if I have the heart to get birds that might get eaten! If you reorder in the spring, let me know. Maybe we can share an order ...if make up my mind to take a chance on chicken keeping...after a year of research, I'm still on the fence!
hu.gif

Sue in Fitchburg​

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that!
sad.png
Do you know what got them?
We've had coyote tracks all over our yard from the back woods lately. I think we have a pack living there. I'm still trying to decide if I have the heart to get birds that might get eaten! If you reorder in the spring, let me know. Maybe we can share an order ...if make up my mind to take a chance on chicken keeping...after a year of research, I'm still on the fence!
hu.gif

Sue in Fitchburg

I think it was raccoons. Ripped the bottom lip off my run door and walked right in. It was, of course, right when all that snow melted so I didn't get any tracks, although I did look.
Sue, get some! If I order, I'm probably doing Marans, EE's, Cochins, BLR Wyandottes and maybe some Australorps. I'll have extra to get rid of
smile.png

Chickens always seem like a great idea in the spring, summer and fall. Then once winter comes...not so much! LOL! I work outside with animals as a pet sitter and complain all winter long. On a day like today, owning outside animals doesn't seem like a great plan.
duc.gif

I was going to go with Meyers and get some Marans but they're not going to be available until at least May and I want my hens full grown before winter starts.
So now I'm thinking about Welps, they have the biggest variety I've found. I'm so torn.... I want a brabanter from Ideal but think I'll settle for an Ancona (both white egg layers), some Wyandottes, EE's, and a Welsummer. I need really winter hardy breeds because I don't heat the coop but I also want a really pretty egg basket and nice hens. I'm a tough customer
smile.png

Stickin my head in to say hi!
big_smile.png
I'm new, and hoping to hatch out some duck eggs this spring. I'm in Winchendon, we bought a house that we've been working on, and it has a pond that demands ducks.

I've been trying to see if I can borrow an incubator if I can. I just know that if I buy one, I'll have like five people telling me their brother in law has one in his attic that I coulda used for free.

Anyhow I really have been enjoying the community here, and have been so appreciative of the incredible wealth of knowledge and experience. It's a very exciting little adventure!

--Kim

Back
Top Bottom