BYC Spinning Fiber

Kromski are fine machines!

Which is more sought after? It depends on the spinner. For me it is neither the alpaca or the llama. The resulting yarn has a beautiful drape but no memory. I love wool and baste (plant) fibers over a camelid any day.

Double or single treadle (or whatever you call the footie thing), ladies, you say what?

Cyndi, what does Paul charge for the spindle? Tks.

I prefer my double treadle over the single treadle. I think you get better control over the speed and direction of the wheel with a DT.

I adore my Kromski Sonata! My first wheel was an Ashford Traveller, Double Treadle, Double Drive with optional Scotch tension. That is a do-it-all wheel. The only reason I got the Sonata is because I wanted a full size wheel that folded. I use the Sonata to spin and the Traveller (set up with a jumbo flyer/bobbin) to ply my yarns.

You (or your DH) could easily make your own spindle. They're not that tough to make. You need a dowel rod, a small cup hook & a small weighted whorl. You can use a Tinker Toy or wooden car wheel, old CD's, some polymer clay.

For extra weight, I use this cool item I found at a hardware store. It's on the 2nd spindle from the left:

spindles0109b.jpg

I don't know what it is called but the little circle adjusts with an allen wrench and tightens it on the rod.

I've been trying to use my new drop spindle with my new alpaca fiber. I stink. Absolutely stink.

I thought I ordered SO much fiber and I'm going through it so quickly - I'm going to need an entire animal. The thread I'm making is terrible - too skinny in parts, accidentally unravelled it...I drop it all the time.

Would it be easier if I ordered some carded sheeps wool?.....or is it just me?
smile.png

People, life as I know it will never be the same . . . I just won auction for a top drop spindle kit a la eBay.

Handcrafted Top Drop Spindle Kit. Included in this kit, One Top Drop Whorl Spindle with 100% 1/4 oz. Light Lime color wool, and basic how to use instruction sheet. The spindle measures are 10 3/4" in length 3" in diameter. The weight of the spindle is 2.8 oz. The spindle has been hand sanded, stained and a three coat gloss finish has been applied resulting in a beautiful smooth gloss finish. I make my spindles here in Pennsylvania and everyone enjoys them. This is a well made spindle, sturdy made to last. Packaged in a box, one business day handling time and free shipping. I hope you can use and enjoy this great kit.

Everyone please stop for a moment of silence
lau.gif

...................................................................................................................................................................................

(that was my moment of silence)

1/4 oz of wool ... you'll go through that in about 10 minutes. Better get some roving. PM me

I am really enjoying my spindles. I am wondering what the small spinning wheels that people tote around are? Whats your favorite way to set the twist in your yarn? Do you really have to ply your yarn?

Ninny,

Now you know I don't know what's up, BUT, I would almost swear in the vids I've been looking at these last few days, matter of fact today, the woman mentioned spinning, putting in water or something to "set" it, then working it on up. I can't wait to see the answer. I chimed in because I want to see if I am retaining something where all of this is concerned.

Cyndi,

I wasn't sure how long it would take me to learn the technique, so wasn't sure if that was a decent bit of fiber or not.
yippiechickie.gif
. PMin' ya in a sec.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, I have. They're great!

I should make my own pathetic video on how NOT to properly use a drop spindle.
lol.png

I'm going to look into wool roving. I really really really want to learn how to do this. It's just so frustrating!

Back
Top Bottom