BYC Spinning Fiber

Welcome briteday!

The Schact upright is still called the Matchless. I had the opportunity to spin on one last year. The son of one of my spinning students bought her a Matchless at an auction for about $100. Quite the price for just the wheel, but this also included every single whorl for the matchless and a tensioned kate.

I cleaned & oiled it up. I had a bit of a problem until I realized I had the bobbin on backwards.

I'm working on spinning my first cellouse fibers now. Hemp, flax and a 50/50 cotton/wool.

I have a traditional. I found it at a yard sale 3 years ago. The previous owner bought it in New Zealand in the 70's. I also gave a great wheel from the late 1800's that needs restoration to use, and a box charkha that I use mostly to wind bobbins for my weaving. Right now I am spinning some yummy merino/alpaca blend in greens and blues that DH bought me for X-Mas. After I'm done with it I have some Romney to spin into thick singles to dye and weave into my first wool rug.

I have way too much fiber, it's ridiculous.

Alpaca is pretty inexpensive around here, I think it's because there are so many around. The Willamette Valley is sheep country, and people have alpacas to guard their herds. Plus, they are just so darned cute!

When we are able to move into the country (hopefully by next fall, yay!), I totally plan on getting a couple of pygora goats. A member of our spinning/weaving guild is a breeder.

You guys are so nice. I want to turn this pile of wool into a nice blanket for the hubby. It may be bumpy and odd looking but i will do it and it will be warm!
big_smile.png

Where is a good place to order alpaca?

Last edited:
ninny,

I have some wonderful alpaca here .... it's still raw and needs to have the VM sorted out and a good soak to remove the dirt. But it's at a good price for you .... free.

PM me you addy

Welcome Briteday:) A Matchless...my dream to own one some day! Aptly named, too!

Ninny, that thick and thin yarn you are now making is actually sold as "specialty yarn"
wink.png
And once you get to creating yarn that is even and either lace, sport or worsted, etc., you'll probably have a bit of trouble going back to making your "specialty" yarn
lol.png

It does create some beautiful things and is one of my favorite yarns to knit! I recently made a bobbin full and used a fishing line type of thread that has beads and "eyelash" here and there to ply with, its going to be a scarf and hat for my youngest daughter who turns 20 in March if I can find more of that bead/eyelash stuff. I'd better get on that, March will be here soon!

Today, Lucy and I (wonderful neighbors) spent time pulling the guard hair from her quiviut. She is itching to begin spinning it. I showed her the maroon and the blue blended corridale top I just got from Canada. We may get some spinning done on Monday, she's got a bad cold and leaving on a short trip afterward.

My eldest daughter and her DH's nephews are moving up here, 3 little boys so I've been knitting camo neck/face warmers, headbands and mittens for them. I think I'd better make hats, too. DD & DSIL can't wait to take the 3 boys sledding:)

Angiechick, I've always wanted to make a rug, either braided wool, crochet or macrame' and began collecting wool jackets to strip for a braided one, began to crochet one from a perfect type of twine that I found a small amount of but that was only enough to make a trivet!

Last edited:
Hello everyone well I am just now learning about spinning so I am really new at it, I learned how to make me a spindle, and go them made, I made me about 10 of them so that way if I tear one up learning than thats ok as I have a back up. but I would love to learn how to make my own yarn, as I love to crochet. the only thing I have to do now is get me some roving or fiber or what e ver and then learn. so I sure hope I can learn from ya'llatleast if thats ok as I think I would really enjoy it. Mawchickkide

Gotta bump this back on top!

Some yarns and project from this past week

From hand dyed Corriedale roving. Navajo plied, between 8-11 wpi, 156+ yards

0209_lapoli.jpg

First ply of a 2-ply, will be heavy worsted weight when finished:
"Above the Fruited Plains"

sss_vari_0209.jpg

Knit from handspun of natural colored corriedale, cvm and something else I've already forgotten.

ada_calorimetry_jan09b.jpg

Last edited:
Oh Cyndi! Those are gorgeous! I am in the midst of costuming for a play (dress rehearsal on the 23rd), so I haven't been able to spin for a few weeks. I have a lovely painted roving that is halfway spun, so it's driving me crazy to not be able to play with it.

That top yarn is especially nice. I'm looking forward to seeing the middle one finished.

What are you spinning on Cyndi? That yarn looks absolutely too professional;) Is alpaca truly hypoallergenic? I've got a lot of that to spin up and just ordered some suffolk roving. I'm going for shetland next...or a cross of shetland/icelandic, not sure yet. Planning on spinning all this coming week while waiting on job interviews:)

Back
Top Bottom