BYC Spinning Fiber

Glad you found us, Lindsay!

I am so very blessed to have so many fiber flocks within 30-60 miles around us ... I don't need to make that painful decision of which sheep to keep in a fiber flock (nor do I have to deal with feeding, vetting, shearing, processing costs). Within 60 miles in any direction I have a choice of merino, jacob, corriedale, alpaca, angora rabbit, angora goat, cormo, coopworth, teeswater, lincoln longwool, icelandic, shetland (both single & double coat) and more!

Lindsay, will you spin the thel and tog of the icelandic together or do you have combs to separate them? I've done both and I sure to like spinning just the thel of the icelandic, saving the tog for rug weavings. The icelandic hogget is the only way I will spin the tog & thel together anymore.

I got some spinning done this week (all local fiber ... some already processed, some I processed myself) As soon as I upload the pics to the computer, I'll post them.

Here we go! Yarns spun this week (besides interrupting my spinning to do a bit of milk soaping)

Local Coopworth I have another bobbin on the wheel tonight to 2-ply this.

Canadian wool (from last fiber mill in Canada still powered by a water wheel) Wish I could find this link again ... their processed roving is to die for! I crock pot dyed it.

The singles from the the above two yarns plied together:

Local Cormo wool crock pot dyed turquoise, red and purple.

Local Icelandic ... indigo dyed, plyed with local brown shetland
It is loosely plyed on purpose to try to get some character into whatever object is will be used in.

(I still have this shetland on the wheel that I will chain ply)

Last edited:
I have 7 alpacas, so I spin their fiber. I have a louet spinning wheel and a couple of drop spindles. I knit and felt, and I'm hoping to get into weaving!

Welcome to our Addiction, islandbirdgirl!!

You will love weaving!! The set up takes a bit longer than knitting, but the end result is oh-so-much faster!!

I've been recently weaving Spanish moss (into Civil War carbine slings) that I retted, carded and spun. I may be part of an article in the Winter 2013/2014 issue of Spin-Off IF I get good enough pictures and can write a good copy!

Here is some of my Spanish moss prep

Lindsay, will you spin the thel and tog of the icelandic together or do you have combs to separate them? I've done both and I sure to like spinning just the thel of the icelandic, saving the tog for rug weavings. The icelandic hogget is the only way I will spin the tog & thel together anymore.

I will be spinning them seperatly. My DH built me a comb from finishing nails and wood to comb them. I have a breeder of shetland near me so I had the comb for it. Love the icelandic so far. Will post pics as soon as I can.!!

Here we go! Yarns spun this week (besides interrupting my spinning to do a bit of milk soaping)

Local Coopworth I have another bobbin on the wheel tonight to 2-ply this.

Canadian wool (from last fiber mill in Canada still powered by a water wheel) Wish I could find this link again ... their processed roving is to die for! I crock pot dyed it.

The singles from the the above two yarns plied together:

Local Cormo wool crock pot dyed turquoise, red and purple.

Local Icelandic ... indigo dyed, plyed with local brown shetland
It is loosely plyed on purpose to try to get some character into whatever object is will be used in.

(I still have this shetland on the wheel that I will chain ply)

Stunning! I love the blue and shetland!!!

Back
Top Bottom