BYC Spinning Fiber

MullersLaneFarm

Maybe I missed it, but what sort of fiber is that wonderful grey yarn? Do you plan to have the shawl(great pattern btw) all one color, all natural colored yarn, or what? Sorry, am new to this thread, heck, this community, and may not have read back far enough to see if you already put out this info.

I have been needing to get back to my wheel, just needed the inspiration! Think I am going to find it here.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm so laughing at the zombie apocalypse comment! Had one of my unofficially adopted kids - 18 yr old - tell me the same thing one day last year, when I showed him my canned peaches and some yarn that I had spun and dyed with KoolAid.

Beautiful, Cyndi!!!

Hey BonneTerre!
frow.gif
Welcome to BYC!!!

I did a few firsts today..... I spun something with long draw (for the first time) and I plied Navajo style (for the first time). It came out...interesting. lol. I think that using top is a little more difficult for long draw, not to mention it was felted a little from the dye and was hard to get smooth and even. Otherwise - the yarn is drying and we'll see what I can do with it.

BonneTerre,
I have about 200 yards of that yarn N-plied right now, still need to spin/ply another bobbin. Originally it was meant to be a shawlette A Dash of Colour, but I might change my mind!

Here's the n-plied yarn. The color is more exact in the photo of the single. This pic was taken at night with a flash.

Itsy, thanks for the welcome.

I dont do long draw unless I have the time to pay attention and it is for something specific. My natural style of draw(I taught myself to spin) is very short and produces a more worsted(rather than wooly) yarn, so it is "work" to long draw!
wink.png
I have had much more success with non-top fiber for long draw when I have done it. They dont seem to just slide apart like the top does. I get a much more even yarn and its not nearly as frustrating(oh, the mulititude of times I had to rejoin and restart when I tried using top!) to make.

Any fiber that is partially felted has a chance of getting spun, at my house, directly related to how felted it is and how much I love the fiber/color/intended project. But since I seem to have so much fiber, the chances are that it will get more felted and not spun. Just thinking about the frustration of spinning partially felted fiber and trying to long draw it, is stressful! I dont know how you did it! Congrats!

And on that note, I think I will go de-stress with some spinning.

Back
Top Bottom