BYC Spinning Fiber

G'day to all

I have a spinning wheel and started to spin few years ago however I have been very slack and my spinning wheel just sits there as a decoration. My studies have taken over for now. I do enjoy it when I do it. I have collected my poodle hair since I have had them - they both passed away in 2010 (within 3 months of each other) - still very sad about it. So I have quite a collection. I would actually like to start spinning my poodle hair and other dog hair that I had collected from a poodle parlour. Have any of you tried this before? I have heard this type of fleece is easier to spin because it has no lanolin in it.

Anyway I just thought I'd stick my nose in and have a peep, say hello and hope this doesn't bore anyone.

Cheers
frow.gif

Aussie Lady: I've heard of many types of dog and cat fur being spun, usually included with other fibre, but never poodle. Let us know how you get on with it.

Kittens have now discovered the treadle of my wheel - and seem to think it is a kitten sized see-saw! Problem is, they won't stay still long enough for me to get a photo.

G'day to all

I have a spinning wheel and started to spin few years ago however I have been very slack and my spinning wheel just sits there as a decoration. My studies have taken over for now. I do enjoy it when I do it. I have collected my poodle hair since I have had them - they both passed away in 2010 (within 3 months of each other) - still very sad about it. So I have quite a collection. I would actually like to start spinning my poodle hair and other dog hair that I had collected from a poodle parlour. Have any of you tried this before? I have heard this type of fleece is easier to spin because it has no lanolin in it.

Anyway I just thought I'd stick my nose in and have a peep, say hello and hope this doesn't bore anyone.

Cheers
frow.gif

thumbsup.gif
Have never heard of anyone being able to get enough hair from a poodle to even consider it. But if you've got it, why not try it? I've got bags of fluff from one of my dogs (long hair with thick undercoat) that I've been saving for several years. I know everyone usually mixes their cat/dog fur with wool or something else, but I really would like to get enough to spin the dog hair by itself. Just the other day I was pulling off some hair from our only long-haired cat and seeing that it has a pretty long staple and some crimp...
smile.png

That is some gorgeous yarn - I like the colours, do you dye your own skins? I particularly like your novelty yarn.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks so much, guys!!!

Everything but the Carribbean looking one on the bottom was from a gal that I know who raises her own sheep and dyes her own wool. I purchased lots of hand dyed roving from her and was so disappointed when she gave it to me, but I didn't say anything and took it home. I had no idea it was going to spin up so nicely. I should have taken before photos of the roving because I think most people would have said..... "oh." But I am SO happy with it and I'm glad I bought so much from her!

I've dyed some myself, but I'd like to explore doing it more in the future.

The last one was dyed by an Etsy friend of mine who makes fantastic batts and hand painted yarn and roving. Her name is Jen and she's called ExpertlyDyed on there. I have a feeling that she's going to be doing a big sale soon because she and her husband are moving out of the country. I've purchased from her many many times, both yarn and roving and I'm always pleased. If she does her sale, I'll be sure to let you guys know.

Thank you, Cyndi! I think that's the best I've spun up thin yarn so far. The dark skein is probably the best one ever. I need to find out what breed of sheep it is that I'm spinning with. I'm going to guess that it's BFL, but I'm uncertain. It spins into a single much easier than anything else I've worked with so far.

Back
Top Bottom