BYC Spinning Fiber

Peepacheep~
I am not sure about the real definitions of long draw and short, but in my head(mind you it is getting older so some of the ole synapses arent working like they used to) I see short draw being a more stationary way of spinning and long draw a more active. For me, long draw has someone(usually NOT me) moving the roving from near the wheel back, up to the wheel again and back again, with the twist in front of the off hand( for some the twist may get between it and the dominate hand), and the dominate hand keep things moving toward the wheel and the off hand is back and forward and doing most of the work. When I have seen folks using this method it is a really fast way to spin and is used with longer to medium staples because they will stay together better with the lighter twist and they also draw better without breaking. A short draw, from what I remember, is used more with shorter staples, because it keeps the yarn together better so there are not as many breaks or weak points in the product. From what I have seen this is what most people use when they have VM or other goodies they have to pick out of roving/fiber. The off hand is holding the roving and is pretty stationary and the dominate hand is moving the roving/fiber out the front toward the wheel. The off hand pinches the fiber to keep the twist just in front and just behind the off hand thumb and finger. The dominate hand keeps things from getting over twisted and may even slightly untwist while moving things toward the wheel(though this last part, I am sure, is only for those of us who dont have as much control as more proficient spinners). Because the off hand is the stop for the twist with this method it lends itself better to fiber that has to have stuff picked out of it, and that is usually done with the dominated hand. I guess the best way and the shortest way for me to put it when I think about it, is that long draw the stop for the twist is done with the off hand and with long draw it is done with the dominate hand. Now this may all be total hogwash because it is probably just formulated by me from things I have seen and heard and is not in any way something from the experts. I am probably way off base.

I often use the agitation and shock method to set twist and dont think I have ever had a problem with felting. Now my friend who sometimes throws her hand spun, no matter what fiber she's spinning, in the clothes washer to set the twist, now that is a true adventure in felting/not felting. She sometimes doesnt get the amount of agitation just right and ends up with a tangled felty mess that she picks through. But as she says the yarn is a lot more shrink proof. Gives me the willys, just thinking about it!

My Catahoula Leopard Dog once found a very putrid deer carcass and smart boy didnt eat any, just rolled in it! UGH! lol, but that was ok, because within minutes he found several fresh cow pies and proceeded to roll in all of them. LOL, he was green by the time he was finished and stunk to high heaven! It was hard to keep him from sharing with us. Thank goodness neither of those scents have the "stay in" qualities of skunk scent! Wish I had taken pictures of him, all green with dark spots! He thought he was really something!

If anyone might be interested, I just posted a bunch of different Raw fibers in the BST section. Only asking a donation or what you think is fair for whatever one you want. Just want someone to use it.

Bleenie, wow, that sounds like it could be fun to experiment with!

BonneTerreChick. That is a great description of long draw and short draw.I have not had the nerve to put fiber, spun or un-spun in my front loading washer. I shudder to think of the possible clogs long fiber could do considering what a dog bed cover does on a regular basis. Dead deer and cow pies??? It amazes me how dogs with such fantastic scent abilities can delight in the most disgusting stuff and mine cringe when I squirt shampoo on them.

Have not sat down with my spinning wheel for way too long but a bunch of canning and freezing has gotten done.
wee.gif

I am currently boiling goldenrod (yellow) in one pot and marigolds, dahlias, and calliopsis in another (reddish orange). Going to dye the wool tomorrow, alum and tin for brightness. I've never done these particular plants so it will be interesting. Usually I dye with indigo, weld, madder, etc. that I purchase. These are from my garden. The only thing I've ever dyed with of my own was walnuts that I collected from my grandparent's so I'm excited to see how this turns out. It is just about walnut time too though. I like dyeing with them but sometimes I'd just prefer to buy a brown wool instead and skip the stink. :)

Peepacheep - when we moved we switched to a front loader washer and I can't see using it for wool or yarn at all. Ours doesn't just fill and soak without agitating, for starters. I miss being able to fill it with hot water and letting it soak, opening it whenever I want and changing the dial to spin to pull the water out. :( I keep thinking I should buy a used/cheap top loader for the basement, just for wool.

Last edited:
A second hand top loader just for processing wool is a great idea, granted I do not have space in the laundry room for it but it is a very great idea. It would go perfectly well with the 2nd stove out on the porch which is used for cooking things that should not be cooked in the house, i.e. eggs shells and fish heads.
sickbyc.gif

Very curious how your dyeing comes out ladysanti!

Bought a spinning wheel this past Tuesday, a Louet double treadle S-10. The treadle action is one of the nicest I have found in the past year of trying double treadles. It pulls like a Louet but cross lacing the flyer until the bobbin is 1/2 full worked great for spinning an 80% merino-20% silk blend today.

Lol, I would agree and would attempt to use that logic to rationalize any fiber purchases, I make, to DH, but he would probably bring up the hay bill, the shearing costs and meds.....dang smarty pants! Gotta love my sheep and goats though.

Here's what I got out of the flowers. The lemony yellow is the goldenrod and the orange is the marigold/dahlia/calliopsis. Turned out pretty good. I'd do it again.

My mom has a Kromski Fantasia that she loves but she recently heard about the Dodec in one of her monthly spinning magazines and my guy built it for her. It was reasonably inexpensive to build and someone with some practical building skills can do it. If you google Dodec you can find the material list and instructions. My mom loves hers.

Back
Top Bottom