Cackle Hatchery

Pics

goldenyears

Songster
Dec 9, 2019
Holly, Michigan
I received 22 Silkie chicks from Cackle Hatchery last Wednesday. One was dead on arrival, three died later that day, four died the next day and three more died Friday. I called Cackle Hatchery today and was informed that they have no culpability even for the DOA chick and the other 3 that died same day. I was lectured on chick care as it was stated that it was my responsibility for their deaths.

I currently have 24 Silkie chicks in a grow out area that I incubated and 10 others between 6 and 12 months old all of which started in the same setup I used for the Cackle Hatchery chicks. Further, I’ve ordered some 100 chicks from Meyer and McMurray hatcheries with only two deaths. I’ve also raised many quail and duck hatchlings and aside from “losing” two quail that escaped, I’ve never had anything close to a 50% loss! And I’ve incubated quite a few as well. In fact, of the more than 300 chicks I’ve raised, I’ve had less die than this one order from Cackle Hatchery. Very disappointed.
Any thoughts?

Did they refund you? They definitely should seeing as you have successfully raised many different fowl, some even more complicated than chickens. From the information you have given us, this is not your fault.
Nope, after all, it’s MY FAULT! I could possibly understand why no remedy for the Thursday and Friday deaths, but not the four on arrival day.

Their Shipping stress care isn't at all what it's supposed to be. They need Vitamins, & electrolytes given at the time of arrival.
Screenshot_20220404-122456_Chrome.jpg
Non of the shipped chicks I've gotten from hatcheries ended up with pasty butt. Only some TSC chicks.

I had an order from Cackle, I ordered eight, nine were shipped, five were dead on arrival. The deaths were not Cackles fault, they cannot control the USPS. But they gave me a full refund no questions asked. Disappointing they did not do the same for you.
Yes, I ordered from My Pet Chicken and lost a duck and they immediately refunded us.

From your description, it definitely sounds like shipping stress is the culprit! Unfortunately it looks like their guarantee leaves quite a lot of room for their interpretation: "Cackle Hatchery is unable to refund or replace any poultry after it has arrived safe and in a timely manner. Our pricing is not setup to incur these types of expenses and risk beyond that point. Our replacement or refund policy is only for unsafe or unusually long shipping risks that the USPS causes and must be reported immediately".

I would try calling back and escalating to a supervisor if possible. I've had the best success with customer service by being polite but firm and insistent.

Back
Top Bottom