Cackle Hatchery

I got different information.
20220404_123356.jpg
20220404_123426.jpg

I received 22 Silkie chicks from Cackle Hatchery last Wednesday. One was dead on arrival, three died later that day, four died the next day and three more died Friday. I called Cackle Hatchery today and was informed that they have no culpability even for the DOA chick and the other 3 that died same day. I was lectured on chick care as it was stated that it was my responsibility for their deaths.

I currently have 24 Silkie chicks in a grow out area that I incubated and 10 others between 6 and 12 months old all of which started in the same setup I used for the Cackle Hatchery chicks. Further, I’ve ordered some 100 chicks from Meyer and McMurray hatcheries with only two deaths. I’ve also raised many quail and duck hatchlings and aside from “losing” two quail that escaped, I’ve never had anything close to a 50% loss! And I’ve incubated quite a few as well. In fact, of the more than 300 chicks I’ve raised, I’ve had less die than this one order from Cackle Hatchery. Very disappointed.
Any thoughts?
Wow...I'm surprised you had a problem with Cackle Hatchery, I've ordered chicks 3 times from them and all but one survived. However, Cackle always added 2 extra to my order in case of death at no charge.

This year I ordered from Pure Poultry and don't recommend them. It took 3 days for the chicks to arrive, usually, it's only 2 days and one chick was dead in the box. Two more chicks were so weak they didn't survive either. I contacted them on Feb. 22nd and was told I'd get a 100% reimbursement. Today is 4/4/22 and the check has still not arrived, there is no excuse for this long delay.

Wow...I'm surprised you had a problem with Cackle Hatchery, I've ordered chicks 3 times from them and all but one survived. However, Cackle always added 2 extra to my order in case of death at no charge.

This year I ordered from Pure Poultry and don't recommend them. It took 3 days for the chicks to arrive, usually, it's only 2 days and one chick was dead in the box. Two more chicks were so weak they didn't survive either. I contacted them on Feb. 22nd and was told I'd get a 100% reimbursement. Today is 4/4/22 and the check has still not arrived, there is no excuse for this long delay.
Yeah, it is a disappointing experience this time. I ordered 20, received 22 but as I said, four died on arrival day. I wanted to introduce new genes into my Silkie population and hope the survivors can provide this.

Did you have chicks on wood shavings? I am not a fan of wood shavings. At least not in the beginning. I put them on second hand cloth table place mats, then toss mats when soiled. But I don't have big numbers of chicks.
qza.PNG

Did you have chicks on wood shavings? I am not a fan of wood shavings. At least not in the beginning. I put them on second hand cloth table place mats, then toss mats when soiled. But I don't have big numbers of chicks.
View attachment 3049501
No, I layer a paper similar to what you see on an exam table except it’s absorbent. Add some apple cider vinegar to the water and use a brooding plate for heat. 20% non medicated feed. Same setup I use for all chicks except the plate is lowered on an angle to height I use for quail.

No, I layer a paper similar to what you see on an exam table except it’s absorbent. Add some apple cider vinegar to the water and use a brooding plate for heat. 20% non medicated feed. Same setup I use for all chicks except the plate is lowered on an angle to height I use for quail.
Heat plates aren't recommended for shipped chicks.

Back
Top Bottom