CACKLE HATCHERY

I think with a picture a person can only judge color. But a person needs to pick up a chicken to tell body size, weight, and things like that to determine how closely a chicken matches the standard of perfection.

They look like great chickens.

I like that Bantam Partridge Cochin rooster.

Thank you he is one of my favorites. As babies they were all so flighty and crazy I had second thought but they got a lot better once they were out in the coop and even more when the girls started laying. Now they are so nice and easy going. I have some Bantam mixes who are kinda over reactive about things like the dog, me or one of the horses walking through the barn but these guys just calmly walk out of the way and don't make a fuss. I am really happy with them :)

i was thinking of placing an order with them, and checked here for a recent review thread. i happened upon this one.

i think those are some beautiful cochins!

i am not into chickens for showing or perfection, just for fun and eggs really. they keep me busy and happy. so, i don't care so much about "show quality" or traits that would disqualify or anything like that. plus, i'm not breeding for anything either. i think i will take my chances with a hatchery. i have NEVER ordered chicks. i've always gotten them from people at like chickenstock, etc. i'm a little nervous :)

i just want some pretty birds to replace the ones i lost :-( and some that lay funky or different eggs from just the plain white or light brown.

i was thinking of placing an order with them, and checked here for a recent review thread. i happened upon this one.

i think those are some beautiful cochins!

i am not into chickens for showing or perfection, just for fun and eggs really. they keep me busy and happy. so, i don't care so much about "show quality" or traits that would disqualify or anything like that. plus, i'm not breeding for anything either. i think i will take my chances with a hatchery. i have NEVER ordered chicks. i've always gotten them from people at like chickenstock, etc. i'm a little nervous :)

i just want some pretty birds to replace the ones i lost :-( and some that lay funky or different eggs from just the plain white or light brown.

My EE's came from Cackle (most of them anyway).
I have traded and bought and breed until I have from several hatcheries and indiviuals.
Price comparison is about even, some are a little higher and some not as high. Usually shipping is where they really get you, Usually the closer to the hatchery you are the less the shipping costs.
Good luck in whatever decision you make on where to get your chickies from.

I just placed an order with them last night for 5 Buff Orpington's, 5 Golden Laced Wyandottes, & 5 Australorps. I'll let you know how everything goes. As a matter of fact, they already called me today to confirm my order, and to let me know that they will be sent out this coming Wednesday, and they should be here by Friday.

Last edited:
Thank you for your input.

Seems like I might order from Cackle since you can order 5 chicks and not 25. As for show quality I am not looking for, it is for the eggs. I like the dark choc. and colored eggs personally.

Living 35 miles south of Cackle Hatchery, it was a trip we made just yesterday. I swore I wouldn't buy any more birds from a hatchery but finally gave in. lol Cackle Hatchery has remodeled from a seedy looking hole in the wall to a very professional, very sterile environment to purchase birds from. We were very impressed. Staff was very helpful. If you enter the "chick room" and plan on touching the chicks then you must wash your hands first. I liked that. We purchased 10 buff orp pullets and they gave us 13.
As of this morning the chicks are running around their brooder eating and drinking and overall look healthy. These are just plain stock, if I want to improve my stock, I purchase from well respected BYC members only.

Thank you ozark, for that info! It makes me feel a whole lot better about the hatchery I chose to order from. :) Besides that, they had every chick I was looking for.

I just placed an order with cackle over the weekend for some chicks. A couple ee's, welsummers, barred rocks, and rhode island reds. These will be to replace our other egg layers. This is our 3rd or 4th order from cackle. Chicks are beautiful healthy birds everytime and they are very nice people to deal with. Im sticking with Cackle.

Well I got my chicks and they are beautiful, healthy, babies. My order was delayed two weeks because they didn't have enough of the Golden Laced Wyandottes that I ordered. I got an email Monday morning saying they shipped them out at around 9:30 am, and they'd probably be arriving on Wednesday, possibly Thursday at the latest. Well, they came in on Tuesday, just one day after they shipped them out! I went to get them from my local post office at 1:00 pm. Now mind you, Cackle Hatchery is in Missouri, and I live in Pennsylvania, so I'd say that's pretty good timing! They also sent me an extra Australorp.
big_smile.png

I agree with SundownWaterfowl 100%! I'll definately be dealing with Cackle Hatchery from now on!

Back
Top Bottom