Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

ordered my second surprize this year and am expecting them this Friday morning =D
Awesome! Be sure to tell us what you get in your second surprise! What did you do with all the chicks from your first surprise? What kinds of chicks did you get in your first surprise (how many female/male)?

I have been reading this for a month now and it seems really cool I ordered my first surprise a few weeks ago and gets shipped tomorrow I am so excited!
Congrats! It's super fun! Be sure to let us know what kind of chicks you got! (And post pictures!).

Here are all my " little " surprise babies at snack time. The big black butt in the picture is my 2 year old roo. The babies are a 2 months old.

I will I can't wait! Have you lost any chicks yet?

YET? YET! I hope not to lose any
big_smile.png

However, I've been coming across a bit of pasty butt -- at least 2 or 3 every day that needs to be cleaned. I've been running their butts under warm water and slowly pulling away the poop. However, I've taken a few of their feathers with me while doing that, so some of them have a bit of a bare bottom.

These surprises are so much fun!

Agreed.

Last edited:
I've been reading through this thread for the past hour and a half
caf.gif
I should probably go to bed now considering its 4 a.m. and I have to be up in a couple hours but I just can't stop! I'm soo tempted to order it but I just bought hatching eggs for my birthday. Ugh...but they're all so cute

I've been reading through this thread for the past hour and a half
caf.gif
I should probably go to bed now considering its 4 a.m. and I have to be up in a couple hours but I just can't stop! I'm soo tempted to order it but I just bought hatching eggs for my birthday. Ugh...but they're all so cute

Only 1.5 hours? I spent days on this thread (reading some comments more than once) before finally putting in my order! It's pretty cool that there's a "surprise" aspect to it--but its both good and bad. However, if you know exactly what you want (and would be disappointed if you didn't get it), then I would suggest not buying this deal. If you are just looking for a fun variety and 50+ chicks, then this is great!

Some pics of my surprise at almost 4 weeks!

Ooh, show us pictures of your guineas!!! I know this question may be dumb, but how can you tell the difference between bantams and regular (LF) sized chickens? Is it just a size difference? Was the size difference apparent from day 1? The reason I ask is because I got my chicks about two weeks ago, and on first inspection they all seemed to be the same size (so I thought they were all regular sized chickens), however, now after two weeks, there's clearly 1 that's almost half smaller than most the other chickens --> is it a possible bantam or just severely malnourished? (Although it does eat, drink, seem healthy, etc). I thought it would be strange if Cackle only sent 1 bantam in the mix also, so slightly confusing for me.

Only 1.5 hours? I spent days on this thread (reading some comments more than once) before finally putting in my order! It's pretty cool that there's a "surprise" aspect to it--but its both good and bad. However, if you know exactly what you want (and would be disappointed if you didn't get it), then I would suggest not buying this deal. If you are just looking for a fun variety and 50+ chicks, then this is great!

Ooh, show us pictures of your guineas!!! I know this question may be dumb, but how can you tell the difference between bantams and regular (LF) sized chickens? Is it just a size difference? Was the size difference apparent from day 1? The reason I ask is because I got my chicks about two weeks ago, and on first inspection they all seemed to be the same size (so I thought they were all regular sized chickens), however, now after two weeks, there's clearly 1 that's almost half smaller than most the other chickens --> is it a possible bantam or just severely malnourished? (Although it does eat, drink, seem healthy, etc). I thought it would be strange if Cackle only sent 1 bantam in the mix also, so slightly confusing for me.
I think surprises are good. Anytime I make a list of what I want I revise it and change my mind tons of times. This way I just get what I get! It wouldn't make much sense for them to send just one bantam, it could get trampled or something. I could see the difference between my bantams and LF's in an order I had from McMurray but maybe it just depends. Maybe it's just a small chicken lol
yippiechickie.gif

Yes the difference was obvious from day 1, the bantams were about half the size of the regular chicks... Then there were some HUGE chicks, which I now know are brahmas, lol.

Back
Top Bottom