Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Just butchered my BBW tom that I received in my surprise in early March. Dressed out he weighed 42 POUNDS! He will have to be parted out as I don't think my oven would be big enough for this big boy.

4.5 Month update:

My surprise arrived around Memorial Day weekend. I initially had 49 chicks, lost 2 feather footed little ones in the first few days, but all others made it to adulthood. I sold 12, and had a major loss to a predator in month 3... but prior to then I was able to do a tally of the variety. It's just taken a while to get this posted... Not what I initially thought I had when looking at chicks and posted in early June, but I'm VERY happy none-the-less.

Here's the list:

49 total (47 chickens, 2 ducks)

2 died (feather footed cochins/bhramas)
2 Rouen Duck (2f)
1 Welsummer (1f)
1 Lakenvelder (1m)
2 Spitzhabens (pair)
7 easter eggers (4f, 3m)
2 light bhramas (pair)
1 buff bhrama (1f)
1 dark bhrama (1m)
1 spash cochin (1f)
1 blue cochin (1f) huge and beautiful!!
5 leghorns (white) (1m, 4f)
6 chanticleers (2m, 4f)
2 new Hampshire (red) (pair)
1 astrolorp (1f)
3 barred rocks (3 f)
1 coocoo maran (1f)
2 dark cornish (pair)
1 silver laced w (1f)
1 gold laced w (1f)
1 astro-white (1f)
1 silver laced cochin (1m)
4 white crested black polish (1m, 3f)

For the others that ordered around the same time I did -- how did your surprises work out? How is that peacock that came in the surprise the same time mind arrived??

4.5 Month update:

My surprise arrived around Memorial Day weekend. I initially had 49 chicks, lost 2 feather footed little ones in the first few days, but all others made it to adulthood. I sold 12, and had a major loss to a predator in month 3... but prior to then I was able to do a tally of the variety. It's just taken a while to get this posted... Not what I initially thought I had when looking at chicks and posted in early June, but I'm VERY happy none-the-less.

Here's the list:

49 total (47 chickens, 2 ducks)

2 died (feather footed cochins/bhramas)
2 Rouen Duck (2f)
1 Welsummer (1f)
1 Lakenvelder (1m)
2 Spitzhabens (pair)
7 easter eggers (4f, 3m)
2 light bhramas (pair)
1 buff bhrama (1f)
1 dark bhrama (1m)
1 spash cochin (1f)
1 blue cochin (1f) huge and beautiful!!
5 leghorns (white) (1m, 4f)
6 chanticleers (2m, 4f)
2 new Hampshire (red) (pair)
1 astrolorp (1f)
3 barred rocks (3 f)
1 coocoo maran (1f)
2 dark cornish (pair)
1 silver laced w (1f)
1 gold laced w (1f)
1 astro-white (1f)
1 silver laced cochin (1m)
4 white crested black polish (1m, 3f)

For the others that ordered around the same time I did -- how did your surprises work out? How is that peacock that came in the surprise the same time mind arrived??
sounds like a good selection and about 25% roos. So more layers than freezer camp bound that's always good.

I received at the end of March. Got 2 turkeys & 3 ducks. I did write for those in my requests, though.
We also got a HUGE variety and few roosters. We will be ordering again in the spring. :)

I ordered by 2015 surprise package yesterday. February, 2015 ship date was requested and my 'request' was for Minnesota hearty breeds. We'll see what we get. (ship date TBD)

This is my third surprise package from cackle and they have all been interesting.

Lots of chickens (the vast majority pullets) and each time 2 turkeys. Lots of variety -- never more on than a couple of any one thing. With the previous ones, I sold about half within a few days on Craigslist so not sure exactly what I got.

I just ordered one surprise package for feb 9th shipping, and 2 suprises for end of March delivery. Looking forward to seeing what comes! Going to sell the majority to cover costs and some feed, and only keep a few of what comes. Really hoping for some standard Cochins.
Also really hoping I don't get a bunch of bantams...my flock is all big girls and boys, plus I prefer big eggs.

I know this thread is practically an antique, but I sure hope everyone keeps posting what they get and what they order! :)

We just ordered our surprise box for the February 18th hatch. We requested "no meat birds and LOVE feather foots & top hats & variety" which they noted on our invoice. I'm so excited!! Can't wait!

OH my what fun that package would be. I think my DH would have an actual heart attack. I am sure I cannot have some of what may be sent since I live in town.
I wonder if I could sell the roos and guinneas as well as turkeys on craigs before they got old enough for my cranky neighbor to call the law on me.

LOL I think I will go ahead and ask DH his thoughts on it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom