Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Pics
We lost a red chick from the surprise. The group as a whole were so spunky and doing so good I don't think I noticed it wasn't doing well in time to do anything. It was just weak, wouldn't eat/drink, didn't perk up w/sugar water, not sure how much it really drank. At the end its neck seemed twisted? Not sure if it was wry neck, or what exactly wry neck is...I need to look up more info.

All in all everyone else is doing great though!

Sorry about your little one. :( Ours are still doing fine. We got the little ones separated from the larger chick group for now.
I know it happens but I feel bad for not catching it sooner, I might have been able to do something about it. They all seemed fine this morning, it was pretty sudden and quick once I noticed it.

We either have very few bantams or all of our bantams are on the larger side because I really couldn't pick anyone out to separate! Even our silkies are pretty stout.

We did move the 2 ducklings into the other brooder with our 1 week old ducklings, 11 bantams and older naked neck. She's fine and could probably be moved outside but she seems to like it with the little guys so she can stay. Our one week old yellow duck is HUGE now.

Well, the weather looks good next week for getting my first ever order of chicks. Tonight it got to -5, but next week it will be in the mid 30s. I'm sure hoping for a lot of ducks!

I still have no idea how many chicks I have.

I lost two. A Welsummer and a White Jersey Giant (my best guess).

Have you lost anymore? I lost one yesterday and have 4 that I don't think are going to make it much longer. One of the 4 had me worried all day and has perked up some but I still haven't seen it eat. The only thing that's different is their food, we had to buy another brand that we've never used but the week old chicks have been eating it and are fine. We have our regular food now but I really don't think its the food.

I'm really concerned with how quickly they are going downhill and how for the most part they seemed fine yesterday.

Have you lost anymore? I lost one yesterday and have 4 that I don't think are going to make it much longer. One of the 4 had me worried all day and has perked up some but I still haven't seen it eat. The only thing that's different is their food, we had to buy another brand that we've never used but the week old chicks have been eating it and are fine. We have our regular food now but I really don't think its the food.

I'm really concerned with how quickly they are going downhill and how for the most part they seemed fine yesterday.

Actually I've lost three more since. Most birds I've ever lost in a batch. I wonder if the cold temps in transit didn't stress them?

Our chicks are here! We had a snow storm last night and are just now able to get out and get them. I'm nervous!

:( So far we have only lost 1 and it was due to splayed leg. I had him patched up and walking fine, but he just stood around a lot and had no interest in food or water. I tried giving it water/mush feed by a tiny syringe considering he was a tiny bantam. He passed last night. :( Fly high little guy/gal.

Back
Top Bottom