Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Pics
Actually I've lost three more since. Most birds I've ever lost in a batch. I wonder if the cold temps in transit didn't stress them?

3 out of the 4 from last night that didn't make it. What appears to be a white Polish is still pretty much just standing and sleeping but I did see it eat a little. There's another Polish that is driving me crazy because it chirps constantly, non-stop and loud, walks around through the group like its looking for something, I think there's something wrong with it. A few others still seem weak, not really interested in food.

I'm going back and forth on it being the feed I had or shipping stress... We had a number of losses from the cold from our Ideal shipment but they were either DOA or passed with in 24 hrs. and it was from extreme cold and I didn't order enough chicks and they were bantams, we only lost 1 of the packing peanuts but 6 out of 10 bantams.

3 out of the 4 from last night that didn't make it. What appears to be a white Polish is still pretty much just standing and sleeping but I did see it eat a little. There's another Polish that is driving me crazy because it chirps constantly, non-stop and loud, walks around through the group like its looking for something, I think there's something wrong with it. A few others still seem weak, not really interested in food.

I'm going back and forth on it being the feed I had or shipping stress... We had a number of losses from the cold from our Ideal shipment but they were either DOA or passed with in 24 hrs. and it was from extreme cold and I didn't order enough chicks and they were bantams, we only lost 1 of the packing peanuts but 6 out of 10 bantams.

:(

lmao all chickens?

Yep all chickens. We have six polish, several easter eggers, a few barred rocks, several welsummers and as for the rest I have no idea. There is a bunch of little chipmunk looking bantams and a few white birds. There's also a turken (my daughter has claimed it and named in banana goo....) and an austra white. There's a lot of chicks. Lol

Yep all chickens. We have six polish, several easter eggers, a few barred rocks, several welsummers and as for the rest I have no idea. There is a bunch of little chipmunk looking bantams and a few white birds. There's also a turken (my daughter has claimed it and named in banana goo....) and an austra white. There's a lot of chicks. Lol

awesomeness :) Could you post a picture of your welsummers? I have a few that I think they are them but not sure. :) We also have 1 turken. Each time my husband looks at it he just smiles and shakes his head down. lmao

awesomeness :) Could you post a picture of your welsummers? I have a few that I think they are them but not sure. :) We also have 1 turken. Each time my husband looks at it he just smiles and shakes his head down. lmao

Yea give me a bit lol. We are having a snow day and my house is pure chaos right now

I have one white crested black Polish. I was sure he wouldn't make it because he seemed a bit splay legged--I don't really try to fix them when they're in such a big group--but he got his muscles working and seems fine now. He does also seem to always be looking for something, I wonder if it isn't just the shape of their heads and beaks that make them look that way.

I still have no idea how many chicks I got. Let's see:
2 - Pekin Ducklings
4 - grey white -- White Rock?
1 - different grey white -- White Jersey Giant
1 - WCB Polish
1 - Partridge Cochin
2 - Gold Duckwing single comb things -- Phoenix?
2 - Silver Duckwing single comb things -- Phoenix?
4 - Easter Egger
4 - Barred Rock
1 - white gamey thing with single comb
1 - white gamey thing with rose comb
2 - fat white things with single comb
7 - Silkies

I'm sure I'm missing a couple.

ETA: I ordered Welsummers, but I got a couple extra and I think they were in with the surprise and not with the specifically ordered birds. They are chipmunky but heavy on the auburn/red cast over the whole bird, and they seem to have longer down.

Last edited:
I ordered this a few days back and got a shipping notice today for 3/19. Im splitting this with my friend and her dad - we also ordered 100 cockerels (frypan) and an order of asst. ducks (15) and then her dad wanted 5 RIR pullets, 5 barred rock pullets, and a cockerel of each. How many boxes do yall think they will send?

I've only had few breeds ever - RIR, leghorns, sex links. I've never had any special chickens so I'm excited for this! I've already called dibs on any turkens.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom