Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Pics
No kidding! However I'm not sure I could have handled that many chicks--I had 30 others that I ordered specifically.

I'm not sure it's the type of thing I'd be inclined to complain about. I think if the hatchery gets too many calls/emails along the lines of "So-and-so from the interwebs got way more chicks/ducks than I!" they'll stop offering the surprise. It's a surprise and I know it's a gamble when I order it.

I think once I have all the birds out of the brooders I'll have to order another surprise.

Sunday I'll be offloading 15 to a friend, then on Monday I'll trade another 20 for some broilers. Once the broilers are gone and my keepers are feathered out... this is getting out of control.
I agree, no complaining here...I'll just order another surprise...lol
big_smile.png

We need to wait until some of these guys move out too...We have right at 100 chicks (I ordered the layers I wanted) right now and we might end up keeping 10 layers, a few for cuteness (silkie maybe) and then we do have some roosters for meat, but I don't count them, chicken math.

Oh and the ducks...what are we going to do with ducks? I almost hope they are all drakes (we have 2 we bought at TSC, why, I don't know...) since I told the kids we won't keep them if they are males...

Oh My Gosh you two!

Serenity30, are you happy you had the surprises shipped different days? Did you get a different variety?
First surprise we got more large sized chickens and a few bantams. Our Second surprise we got more bantams. Kind of bummed out we didn't get any turkeys, but that just means another order later in the year. :) Also gives us time to finish the turkey setup :)

My husband is working each afternoon after work to finish enlarging/extending our coop to have 5 to 6 different setups.

1 setup for our silkies (6 from surprise 1# and 4 from surprise 2#)(all white)
1 setup for our lav orpingtons we are going to hatch out
1 setup for our black copper marans (bought a 7 chicks and we have eggs in the incubator)
1 grow out setup for bantams
1 grow out setup for larger chickens
1 extra pen if we decide to keep 1 pure group for awhile. :)

I have a order in for a surprise from cackle for the 24th. I have been avidly reading everyones posts to get a idea of what I might get. I asked for lots of ducks,polish, and bantams... fingerscrossed I get a nice surprise. :)

The Gang is here !!!!

ALL chickens :) 63 of them.

* * * * 63 * * * *
ya.gif
( = $0.96 a chick ) Wohooo

They are doing great with no DOAs.

Eating and drinking like champs !

*note* they have plenty of room in the brooder. They only wanting to use half the space to help them stay close/warm. Eventually they spread out :)

Wow, you got a good deal. It looks like a rainbow of colors in that brooder. Hopefully you will figure out the breeds you have.

Got my package this morning! 53 chicks, 2 Peking ducks (hopefully a pair!), and 1 turkey, looks like a Blue Slate. All were alive when we got them, but one ended up getting trampled in the brooder.

Now we are looking through the catalog to see what all kinds we got!

Figuring out what you have is the fun part.

I really would love to get the cackle hatchery surprise. But I Caught the hatching bug and now I have way to many chickens( 10)and I got 14 eggs in the incubator and 14 eggs being shipped I have no idea what I am going to do with them all. Oh and I order a chick from the hardware store because I was at the pet store and the sales kid mention that the hardware store was taking chick orders so off I went

Back
Top Bottom