Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

I have read this entire thread it is really exciting seeing/reading about what everyone got in there surprise. I would get this but I just ordered an assortment of 15 silkies. I cant wait either I hope I got a good variety and that they also arrive alive and healthy. I will defiantly order this next year though. I also hope that everyone else who is getting any that theirs also arrive healthy and alive.

Hello, I got my surprise about 5 weeks ago and made no special requests and I received 49 chicks and 2 ducks. The ducks are Pekin and I am hoping for a pair, the chicks are a good mix between polish, Cochin, Brahma, wyandotte, chanchlers (?), barred rocks, E E's orpingtons, and I believed brown leghorns.

Wow, that's really a good mix! Maybe I shouldn't have made any special requests, re: no meat birds, since they don't seem to be sending out meat birds/broilers in the Cackle Surprise mix. Did you get any bantams? I think a few people have gotten no bantams, but some people have had half their chicks be bantams. Do you know the male/female ratio of your chicks yet (or probably still a bit early to be sure)? I would like to know since 50 roosters may be a bit loud haha.

I have read this entire thread it is really exciting seeing/reading about what everyone got in there surprise. I would get this but I just ordered an assortment of 15 silkies. I cant wait either I hope I got a good variety and that they also arrive alive and healthy. I will defiantly order this next year though. I also hope that everyone else who is getting any that theirs also arrive healthy and alive.

What day are your silkies shipping? (I want to make sure there will be some silkies left over for me haha). Sending you good assortment vibes! Keep us updated!

Wow, that's really a good mix! Maybe I shouldn't have made any special requests, re: no meat birds, since they don't seem to be sending out meat birds/broilers in the Cackle Surprise mix. Did you get any bantams? I think a few people have gotten no bantams, but some people have had half their chicks be bantams. Do you know the male/female ratio of your chicks yet (or probably still a bit early to be sure)? I would like to know since 50 roosters may be a bit loud haha.

What day are your silkies shipping? (I want to make sure there will be some silkies left over for me haha). Sending you good assortment vibes! Keep us updated!
I requested no meat birds in mine b/c last year some people got tons of broilers and several people received bb turkeys. I didn't get any bantams, but if you get bantams I am assuming they would have to pack one square of the box with them so you would get 15-25 depending on the type and the weather. So far, at three weeks I can see two cockerals. One is a slw and the other is a Polish. It seems that most people get 50% pullets or better.

ChickenandMore: I hope your silkies ship well! I never have any luck with them, but I haven't ordered from Cackle. All of my current silkies came older from Heirloom Orpingtons (back when they were Hardin Poultry).

I actually got 3 meat birds on my 3rd special.

On the first two I had requested ducks, geese,and no meat birds. They put that on the invoice. On the third I had put please send a wide variety, and no meat birds. They didn't put anything on there. Maybe it just got overlooked. But the week before I got 30 meat birds from someplace else, so all's ok. That was actually how I recognized those 3 as meat birds!

I requested no meat birds in mine b/c last year some people got tons of broilers and several people received bb turkeys. I didn't get any bantams, but if you get bantams I am assuming they would have to pack one square of the box with them so you would get 15-25 depending on the type and the weather. So far, at three weeks I can see two cockerals. One is a slw and the other is a Polish. It seems that most people get 50% pullets or better.

Good to know. I am definitely raising all my birds as pets, and it would have been pretty devastating if they all just started having heart attacks/broken legs/etc. I'm glad I put no meat birds/broilers in my comments now (and someone typed that up onto the invoice also). Hopefully whoever is packing will have a good July 4th weekend and doesn't give me any meat birds.

Last edited:
I actually got 3 meat birds on my 3rd special.

On the first two I had requested ducks, geese,and no meat birds. They put that on the invoice. On the third I had put please send a wide variety, and no meat birds. They didn't put anything on there. Maybe it just got overlooked. But the week before I got 30 meat birds from someplace else, so all's ok. That was actually how I recognized those 3 as meat birds!

Oh I really hope I don't get any meat birds. I wrote in the comments, no meat birds/broilers, and then whoever typed up my invoice wrote no meat birds/broilers also. When this was written on your invoice, it seems that they have honored it (correct?). Maybe this most recent time because they forgot to type it on, the packer just kinda threw some in as variety. I wouldn't know what to do with a meat bird and it would be painful to watch it having growth abnormalities and finally die (at least that's what I hear happens).

I will definitely be asking for your kind help when I get my surprise in to see if you can identify any meat birds, I would rather know and prepare for it sooner rather than be surprised later. (Prepare for it = finding a suitable new home for the meat birds). (Don't get me wrong, I love eating meat and chicken, I just feel kind of strange killing animals (that I've raised as pets)).

I ordered by second Special of the year --- my first one was awesome. I listed a few things I really want (Brahmas, cochins, pekins, heavy pullets) and it ships 7/7/14.

My chicks have made it a month. Started with 49, lost two Cochins in the first week, still at 47 (45 chickens, 2 ducks).

Can anyone help me ID a few of these?

I have 6 fully white chickens, with two different kinds of combs. Also, the pretty light grey one - any ideas? Easter egger?

I have two more selections of photos...

Whatever they are, I am very happy with the variety. Beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom