Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

I've always wanted to do this but now I've got the hatching bug...and to quote my husband "woman, what are we going to do with all these birds?" so yeah I'll probably get a cackle surprise this summer hehehe lol

Will someone who ordered this in years past please tell me how many roos you got?  thank you!!

Last year, late, I ordered a surprise and ended up with 5 guineas, 5 roosters, and I think 42 hens. I think I was lucky though as the majority were all Light Brahmas. I figured someone had cancelled an order.

So I ended up keeping about 12 chicks from my surprise, 2 Egyptian faymois , 2 silkies, and a handful of Easter eggers and bantam Easter eggers plus a few odd ball chipmunk ones. Then stopped at tsc and got some Banty Cochins and yet more ducks... Going to have lots of ducks this yr lol. Got five adult ducks from last yr, ordered 12 more calls coming in May, plus my five East Indies and now two welsh . Plus my goats are starting to drop kids so it really dose feel like spring lol

We have ordered a hatchery surprise, shipping on April 8th. We asked for geese. It hd as been a tough winter, lost half our flock due to predators and a couple who I found just outside the coop door in the chicken run after the blizzard. Will keep you posted when it comes and yes, I will take pictures.

Windy acre farm, here is my post from last year's surprise. I think we only got about five or six cockerels out of this batch.
Here are a few pics of some of the chicks we got. As you can see, there is quite a good variety! We didn't get any turkeys or waterfowl, but that's OK. Mama told me she and the kids got me a waterfowl special for Father's Day...when I started looking on Uncle Henry's for some ads with goslings or ducklings for sale. (Uncle Henry's is a New England classifieds publication) Here is how they arrived. There are 56 chicks total. Chicks at home in their brooder. This is basically a big cardboard box that a recliner came in...got for free! I'm not so sure what this one is....any guesses? So, all the chicks are still alive and are settling down for the night. I'm going to do the same! Here's a link to my photobucket album if you would like to see all

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom