Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

The rare breed turkey assortment I ordered from Cackle will ship out on April 6th. I can't wait!

My surprise box ships the 6th also. So excited!
wee.gif

Well, we're getting our box shipped in 5 days. We ordered 2 of the surprises...for some reason lol I also ordered 5 cayuga ducks and 5 blue slate turkeys. The turkeys won't be shipped until next month though (late April). They are only just starting to have the blue slate lay eggs and there are zero rare breed turkeys that will be hatched out before early-mid April, according to the gal I talked to. Anyway, I just thought I'd give ya'll a heads up, since I got that info, anyway. And don't worry, I'll have about a half billion pictures as I try to ID everyone lol

THAT'S GREAT!!! LOOKING FORWARD TO PICTURES...MY BOX'S (2) SHIP ON THE16TH OF MARCH...I REQUESTED NO WATERFOWL AS IM NOT SET UP TO HAVE DUCKS OR GEESE....I LOVE THESE BOX'S..I REALLY ENJOYED WHAT I GOT LAST YEAR AND GOT SOME BREEDS I HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE.. I TOO WILL TRY TO POST PIC'S....I SAY TRY AS IM JUST LEARNING HOW TO POST PIC'S.

I ordered fifteen heritage poults (and an extra royal palm) which are supposed to ship with my surprise on March 30. Maybe only a few kinds are laying and they're sold out of those? I haven't gotten anything saying they're going to chage the shipping date. I guess I'll let you know on April 1st. ;)

I am loving these adorable pics, and the helpful info. Thank you all so much! I'm impatiently waiting for May now. (My boxes ship on the 17th.)

That said, I fear I should not be let out without a keeper. Yesterday I shopped in Presque Isle, the "big city" for stores around here. At Aroostook Milling Co., where I buy my Koop Clean, I noticed an order form for baby chicks. EE pullets were only $2.90. (You know where this is going, don't you?)

I want to breed those lovely colorful egg layers, and what if I don't get any in either of the assortments from Cackle? A very real possibility, according to that little voice in my head.

So, showing great restraint, I ordered 5.

They will be available two and a half weeks before the Cackle boxes arrive. That's close enough in age that I should be able to consolidate them into one EE flock (should I find some of the assorted chicks have puffy cheeks), isn't it? *crosses fingers*

I love this thread. Makes me want to try my luck with getting a surprise box. I would have to request no meat birds or broad breasted turkeys. There is no way I can kill anything. I am wondering if people ended up with may more males than females. I can always sell the males.

If you go back far enough some people have posted the M/F breakdown of their boxes. They frequently send pairs or trios of sexed birds.

@Liddy, you might want I read through the forums before putting them all together. A 2.5-week-old chick is a lot bigger than a day-old. Maybe raise them to 15 weeks with their age group before consolidating? That will allow you to be sure of their breed anyway.

If you go back far enough some people have posted the M/F breakdown of their boxes. They frequently send pairs or trios of sexed birds.

@Liddy, you might want I read through the forums before putting them all together. A 2.5-week-old chick is a lot bigger than a day-old. Maybe raise them to 15 weeks with their age group before consolidating? That will allow you to be sure of their breed anyway.

Oh, yes, I wasn't thinking they might share a brooder! Consolidation would be in summer, when they are more of the same size. Those baby chicks grow like weeds and would tower over the new ones in 3 weeks.

That reminder of multiples of a breed is a good one, too. I have several folks who want to buy small flocks from my boxes, so perhaps between the two assortments I will be able to put together a group of one breed for them.

You all rock!

I'm still trying to ID some of the ones from my box. I've been outside for the last hour-ish trying to take better pictures of my new chicks. Can anyone help on any of these? Color and/or breed would be great as I'm a total newbie on this!

I've got four of these. They seem to be pretty flighty.

Cochin? If so, what color?

Another cochin? Maybe a blue? Sorry for the blurriness

Cochin? What color variety?

Blue? Splash? What breed?

If I understood correctly, this could be Barred rock or Dominique. Is that correct? I've got probably 2 or 3 of these with clean legs and one similar looking one with feathered legs. See above for a pic of the one with feathered legs.

Neat yellow/rusty coloration on this one. Only have one of these.

Any idea on any of these chipmunk-ish ones?

YOu can better see the differences in some of the chipmunk like ones in this picture.

@lizzyGSR the first 3 pictures are of mottled houdans 7th one down looks like a appenzrller spitzhauben (probably spent wrong)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom