Should I go with McMurray or Cackle?

• Total voters

oliviafred

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2021
Missouri
Hi, this is my first post!

I am in 4H (SW Missouri) and looking to show at a county fair. The standard is fairly low for birds there, and we have won reserve Best of Show with McMurray birds there.

I'm primarily looking for Salmon Faverolles, Red Shouldered Yokohamas, and Sumatras for show.

For a few reasons, we are considering ordering from Cackle (local pickup) instead of McMurray this year, which worries me. We had ordered from Cackle in 2012 but only a few birds looked correct. :(

What's your recent experience with 4H quality birds from Cackle? Did they show well? Should I just take the risk?

Also, I've read that the USPS is bogged down so maybe Cackle is the better option since I can drive an hour and pick them up there myself. It's my last year in 4H so I'
I do not have any experience with the show aspect of birds from both, but I am with cackle.
Thanks for such a quick response. Also, I've read that the USPS is bogged down so maybe Cackle is the better option since I can drive an hour and pick them up there myself. It's my last year in 4H so I'm just really wanting good birds to show, though! I hope someone has some show experience with them so I can choose, lol. Beautiful turkey in your profile pic!

:welcome ! I've not ordered from either of those hatcheries, so unfortunately I can't be much help there. I have no idea where you live or what situation you're in, but if convenient you might want to consider a breeder for appearance and breed standard. I'd def get if this wasn't an option, as there isn't a chicken breeder within a hundred miles of me :rant:gig.

Cackle is more likely to be closer to SOP than Murray McMurray
Out of curiosity (not doubting you) why do you say that? Do they have good flocks or something? We've always done well with McMurray (quality always varies of course but usually 1/3 are best in class quality), but I'm really curious about Cackle's bloodlines! Thanks for the response!

:welcome ! I've not ordered from either of those hatcheries, so unfortunately I can't be much help there. I have no idea where you live or what situation you're in, but if convenient you might want to consider a breeder for appearance and breed standard. I'd def get if this wasn't an option, as there isn't a chicken breeder within a hundred miles of me :rant:gig.
Haha yes, exactly my problem. I'm looking on here for Sumatra breeders in Missouri but not having much luck :hmm I was a Brahma breeder for a long time, but wanting to get some more fun birds to look at!

Cackle does state that their Salmon Faverolles are not the strongest so you might want to take that into consideration. Picking up vs. shipping will be a big advantage though. Good Luck!
Thanks for such a helpful response! I didn't even see that. This is my SF roo from McMurray, his name is Karen lol. I'm not sure how 'good' he is but I just love his personality. Maybe I will just breed him and his girlfriend 'Brenda' lol!

Attachments

• karen 2.jpg
    karen 2.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 13
  • karen 1.jpg
    karen 1.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 13
Out of curiosity (not doubting you) why do you say that? Do they have good flocks or something? We've always done well with McMurray (quality always varies of course but usually 1/3 are best in class quality), but I'm really curious about Cackle's bloodlines! Thanks for the response!
I've bought from. Both at different times and just find Cackles to be beyter. I got 3 very, very nice naked neck pullets last year. Murray McMurray is decent too, but I've notice they're smaller and abit more sloppy patternwise

Back
Top Bottom