Calcium supplement

Yes...additionally, if you are somehow mixing calcium into their feed, you COULD feed too much calcium.

So...don’t do that. :D
Each morning i feed a mixture of 2kg grower mash 18% protein, 1kg ground up peas 25% protein, 3Tbsp Vitamins, 6 Tbsp Diatamaceous earth, and 6Tbsp ground up eggshells. I let them eat this until they are satisfied. The rest of the day they have free access to Pellets 18% protein and are free to range in the yard and garden. The hens are 6 months old and the eggs have very hard shells. I think they are getting enough calcium, but I didn't want to overdue it.

Each morning i feed a mixture of 2kg grower mash 18% protein, 1kg ground up peas 25% protein, 3Tbsp Vitamins, 6 Tbsp Diatamaceous earth, and 6Tbsp ground up eggshells. I let them eat this until they are satisfied. The rest of the day they have free access to Pellets 18% protein and are free to range in the yard and garden. The hens are 6 months old and the eggs have very hard shells. I think they are getting enough calcium, but I didn't want to overdue it.

The mixed in eggshells could be too much, but I don't know the % calcium that would calculate out to. Better to have it on the side so they can choose how much they need.

Why the extra vitamin mix? Excess vitamins aren't good for them either, and if you're feeding a complete feed already, all the nutrients they need are already in there.

Oyster shell grit is the best calcium supplement as the pieces are larger and sit for longer in the gizzard, providing the hen with calcium over a longer period, especially overnight when she is not actively eating but when the majority of egg shell making is happening.

If you are worried that they will not eat the oyster shells trust me i was too but then I saw my pullets eating some by themselves they will eat it when their body needs it dont worry!!

Back
Top Bottom