California-Inland Empire

Pics
They are not expensive, I was also worried about noise, we have had ours for almost a year now and we recently got a couple chicks. My older girls were not happy and were making a lot of noise, so I went next door to apologize and he said he had no idea we had chickens.

They are not expensive, I was also worried about noise, we have had ours for almost a year now and we recently got a couple chicks. My older girls were not happy and were making a lot of noise, so I went next door to apologize and he said he had no idea we had chickens.

I have a rooster and 2 hens. I asked my neighbors if my rooster bothers them and they said they didn't even know that we had chickens. They just laughed and asked if they could go in the back and play with them. lol I'm just glad my rooster doesn't bug anyone. Nugget never knows when to crow! lol

hello everyone, I'm from Wildomar! I'm new to raising chickens and would love some tips on raising chickens in the "desert".. what breeds do well in our area? How do you keep them cool in the blazing summers? Where do you get your supplies? thank you!
Hi! I'm in Temecula and I buy my feed at Big Horse on Temecula Parkway. Right now my chicks are in brooders and I pick up their pine shavings at Walmart and brooders are made of cardboard. I don't know a lot about breeds but my friend had buff orpingtons and one died from the lake Elsinore heat. You will find so much info on this website. Unfortunately I'm learning chicken math. I'm sure you will too!

Hi holdfast,

I am just outside of Corona and have had chickens for 5 yrs now. I have had Buff Orps, SL Wyandottes, Easter Eggers and a Light Brahma. Mine haven't had trouble with the heat but they were mostly free ranging in the acre yard where I have mature trees and bushes. It was probably cooler underneath the trees than in the coop and pen. Make sure they have lots of water, maybe hose down the pen during the hottest time of the day. I read an opinion that wet chickens can't disperse their body heat as well, so I would not hose or mist them down...makes sense to me. Lots of shade is a necessity.

Btw, we are looking to sell our home in a month or so (moving to Idaho) so if you know of anyone looking for a place to raise chickens and anything else, pm me. I'm on an acre a few blocks outside of Corona and have large walk in coop with covered pen, huge flight pen and another covered pen beside that. Lots of space for a big barn. Really nice for animals and gardening. 2200 sq ft home on culdesac.
smile.png

Sorry I didn't check the updates until now. It's expensive for me because I am feeding them expensive organic food, although I just did a one ton order and sold over half of it so that helps out a bit but having control of their diet was my motivation for getting chickens so the cost isn't my issue, chickens can be kept pretty cheaply, too. We live in a housing track with 1/2 acre lots & I talked to most of the neighbors who would hear them and everyone was happy we were getting chickens but I don't think you buy into this area without expecting some livestock noise. 2 of my girls are rehomes from someone living in a Menifee housing tract where they were too noisy for the neighbors, one light brahma, one silkie. I also saw a light brahma & a marans on Craigslist for the same reason, too noisy so keep that in mind when picking breeds. My orpingtons have never said anything that I have heard, nor my australorp or bantam cochin. My easter eggers arean't really noisy either. The barred rock is somewhat vocal but nobody is like that light brahma, she has a 5 minutes thing she does at different times that is horrid and not even associated with laying an egg or anything, I haven't figured out the purpose yet.

I have to say I have been having a high stress commitment month and the most peaceful stress free feeling I get is when I am out about 6 in the evening with the breeze & the shade & the setting sun & the chickens, I have lots of other animals but there is something about them that is destressing. Just an FYI to help with your decision.

Trish

I started a web page at www.thehappyhealthychicken.com to upload pictures of my chickens as well as advertise the extra bags of our organic chicken food but check out the pictures pages to see them free ranging in the yard and the difefrent development stages of chicks. The site will always be a work in progress! Ten years from now I hope it will reflect health & longevity of the various breeds I have thru the years.

Last edited:
My sweet little 4 month old bantam Mille Fleur cochin cockerel started crowing this morning. I put up a post on the giveaway section with no takers. Anyone here in the inland empire want him?

Hi Everybody, It has been a while but i thought I would start here. In April of this year 2013.I got a notice from the city of Jurupa Valley....my daughter's 4-H project my not be compliant. We went through all the hoops...to find out she will only be exempt if her chicken pen is 50 ft away from my neighbors and MY OWN house. My lot is not big enough for that requirement. So yesterday we got notice #2. My daughter shows her birds and we love them very much. At this point I am at a loss to where they can go or how to become compliant with the Riverside County ordinances they have adopted here in the city of Jurupa Vallley. My question is does anyone else have interest in poultry in my area and would like to see the zoning change?

Hi Everybody, It has been a while but i thought I would start here. In April of this year 2013.I got a notice from the city of Jurupa Valley....my daughter's 4-H project my not be compliant. We went through all the hoops...to find out she will only be exempt if her chicken pen is 50 ft away from my neighbors and MY OWN house. My lot is not big enough for that requirement. So yesterday we got notice #2. My daughter shows her birds and we love them very much. At this point I am at a loss to where they can go or how to become compliant with the Riverside County ordinances they have adopted here in the city of Jurupa Vallley. My question is does anyone else have interest in poultry in my area and would like to see the zoning change?

Well now that Jurupa Valley is a city it should be easier to change the regulations. You need to find out who is running the city and let them know you would like to help them, if they could help you.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom