California-Inland Empire

Pics
Hi there! I am located in Yucaipa. I have a small flock of 6 hens.Two of my hens are laying age, but aren't laying.

One of them I got in January, at the time, I was told that she was about 18 months old. I was told she's a Barred Rock. I've never had a single egg from her.

The other I've only had for 4 weeks (so MAYBE she's still adjusting to her new home?? None of my others have ever taken this long to adjust? But I'm pretty new to chickens.) and was told that she is about 2 years old, and a Black Australorp. No eggs from her either.

I love keeping chickens, but I'm not in it just for pets. I want the eggs too. If 1/3 of my flock isn't laying, then something must change.

If anybody here keeps chickens purely for the love of it, or wants them for their stew pot, please contact me. I cannot get two more layers until these two are gone, so I would love for someone to keep them as pets, or eat them, if desired.

Or, if you have any experiences with similar situations, I'd also be interested in hearing about that too!
Do you plan to come to the meet-up? I'm sure there will be a few people that would be interested in taking them in. I took in a hen who wasn't laying and she started up again after a couple of months and now lays almost every day. They might need more time.

Julie is going to be bringing organic Scratch & Peck feed tomorrow to the meetup but if you know for sure you'd like to purchase some we'd love to know now as she is picking up from me this afternoon & only has limited room in her vehicle (sorry I didn't suggest this sooner)
Starter 25# bags 24.00, 40# bags 33.00
Grower 40# bag 30.00
18% Naturally Free (no soy/no corn/no canola oil/not pelleted so enzymes intact) layer 40# bag 30.00
3 Grain Scratch (no corn) 25# bag 16.00, 40# bag 25.00
Wheat 40# 27.00 (one available)
Goat Feed 40# (one available) 26.00
Pig Feed 40# (one available) 28.00

I will miss you guys but I'm heading to Van Nuys to pick up an ancient TV (2005 :) for my autistic teen whose picture tube died & won't upgrade & then on to a homeschool graduation where I'm the official photographer/videographer (whoo hoo!)
Thanks,
Trish
www.thehappyhealthychicken.com

What is the protein content of your feed? I know three people who had this problem who upped the protein (they bought my 20.5% starter & added oyster shell for calcium instead of their current layer feed) & it fixed the problem. Just a thought.

I have two 8 ft wide x 4 ft deep x 6 ft tall custom coops built bywww.santanvalleycoops.com for me for sale. These are brand new, not used by any chickens. They have two roost poles in them & you can easily add a third or move these up higher if you want. They have 6 nest boxes in each of them. The doors close to secure your chickens in at night. You can build optional runs for them yourself out of pvc or wood (I will post a pic in the comment section of the pvc runs I made for my other coops like this).
The reason I am selling them is that I misordered the wrong ones. They sell a "Basic Walk In Coop" & a "Walk In Coop" . It was a busy week & I was in a rush to get my order in for their next SoCal run so I didn't word it carefully or pay attention to what she wrote back. My bad! I want to sell them & reorder the narrower width ones I wanted for roosters. Anyways, these are painted (not the nest boxes or roost poles) & roofed with shingles. They can be unscrewed for transport or we could load them into your horse trailer all put together. I am selling them at the cost I paid hoping someone can come get them & transport them themselves. They were $475.00 each. The chicken poop goes straight to the ground so ease of cleaning & the 6 ft height makes it nice to walk in without stooping down to collect eggs. I am in Mira Loma in Sky Country.

Hello everyone! Does anybody here keep chickens for "pets" and not specifically for eggs. While I love my chickens, I also need them to be laying. I bought some "laying hens" back in January, and one of them just doesn't lay. I bought another set about 2 months ago, and one of them isn't laying.
Yesterday I unexpectedly inherited 4 chicks, and I must make room for them.
One of them is what appears to be a Mottled Java, and I was told that the other is a Black Ameraucana. They are each only supposed to be about 2 years old.
It may be worth mentioning, that each of these birds came from large flocks, to my small flock. Maybe they just didn't care for the change?
I need a new home for my two non-layers. If anybody relatively close to Yucaipa, Ca is interested in some new "pet" chickens. (OR, wants them for their stew pot), please contact me.

Last edited:
Hi MissJenn! We're neighbors... our mailbox is in Yucaipa :) I would agree with your previous commenters: they might need more time or some supplemental protein and calcium. Also, our weather's been weird, and that throws some birds off. If you still just want to get rid of them, we could take them, but I'd rather you get eggs from them yourself!

Good morning to my inland empire chicken friends. I wanted to share some chicks I have for sale. My first pure English orpingtons hatched. I have blue and splash for sale $10. Also have lots of nice quality silkies looking for a new coop to call their home. $10 each too. I'm located in lake elsinore. Let me know if your interested. Thank you.

Hi neighbors. I'm a newbie here with 3 chicks about 2 weeks old. Located in Fallbrook (not quite Inland Empire but close enough! I haven't found a San Diego county thread yet!) :)

Back
Top Bottom