California-Inland Empire

Pics
Hello Rekon! I'm in Norco now but lived in Yucaipa for a stint. I miss Yucaipa! Still have lots of friends in Redlands and Yucaipa so I get to visit. :)

I am working with French Copper Marans, both blue and black. I also have an assortment of Wyandottes, Welsummers, Lavender Orpingtons as well as a mixed flock. I keep my chickens first and foremost because I love them as pets. I'm planning on showing my Marans in the future. Eggs are great and so is meat! I've made a modest goal to raise 10% of the meat my family consumes. I also have started up with some quail for meat and eggs.

That would be Ozexpat.... He might still be in the Philippines.
Ozexpat are u back yet?? I'm in need of egg trays .. Like the ones you promised to take yo the meet up lol
1f603.png
1f603.png

Anyone here regularly hatching eggs with a little giant incubator (or any other)?

How much water (or wet sponges/towels) do you add for the first 18 days of incubation?

We us a HovaBator with great success. There are handy dandy channels which hold water for incubating and hatching for different types of eggs. When we follow the directions for using these channels the humidity is spot on. Our only challenge is keeping the lid on during Lock Down. My answer is duct tape. -DB

Last edited:
We us a HovaBator with great success.  There is are handy dandy channels which hold water for incubating and hatching for different types of eggs. When we follow the directions for using these channels the humidity is spot on.  Our only challenge is keeping the lid on during Lock Down.  My answer is duct tape.  -DB

I see. What humidity do you usually aim for?

My mom bought the LG 9200, and I'm worried because I keep seeing bad reviews about it.

Here is my guilty admission. I have never measured humidity and the mercury thermometer that came with the HBator is a slip and slide. I've trusted the HBator factory settings and followed the directions for keeping the water channels filled and never had a hatch fail.

I set them and forget them adding water only every two or three days. The tray and turner if arranged correctly allow me to add water to the channel(s) without sliding the cover more than an inch or so.

I do plan to purchase a humidity meter soon just out of curiosity. -DB

Last edited:
I hatch with two almost 20 year old Hovabators. One was a gift from my Grandpa for my 12th birthday and the other was his that he bought at the same time. He never used his and recently gave it to me. Mine went on the fritz a few months ago with random temp spikes. It has been used every couple years since my 12th birthday until now and I am 30 so I'd say that was a pretty good run. The other worked perfectly out of the box. Pretty sure I can fix the other one too.

As for humidity, I have experimented over the years and have found the less fussing I do with the incubators the more success I have. That being said, this book came with my incubator and taught me everything I needed to know as far as hatching goes.

http://www.amazon.com/guide-better-hatching-Janet-Stromberg/dp/0915780003

It's still in my library with my kid scribbles and pictures in it from my first hatches. :)

Back
Top Bottom