California-Inland Empire

Ya my plan is to have the main coop on the concrete but then have a door that goes over to the dirt area next to it where I'll put up a metal wire pen I have used for my rabbits so they can wander around a lot more but not totally all over my backyard. Then when I need to I can just move the pen off the dirt let Gardner do his thing and put it back afterwards. Cause on gardener day the chickens will be locked up anyways. Still lots of planning lol which is why we don't have any yet and I want to make sure I save myself as much headaches as I can. Once we move hopefully in a year or two I'll be able to truly make a coop and run how I want but for now this is a test run and getting my feet wet type of deal.
cool. sounds like a plan...
What kind of chickens are you planning to get? Are you able to have roosters?

cool. sounds like a plan... 
What kind of chickens are you planning to get?  Are you able to have roosters?

No roosters allowed where I'm at. I am thinking either Rhode island reds or buff Orpington. Gonna look around at some local feed places here and see what's available. Want something that is kid friendly as my kids will be totally involved in their up keep. As for what we are looking for in a bird right now just eggs. I do plan once we move to raise chickens for both eggs and meat but for now we have the rabbits for that and I don't want to get too overwhelmed here and then try to figure out how to move it all when the time comes

No roosters allowed where I'm at. I am thinking either Rhode island reds or buff Orpington. Gonna look around at some local feed places here and see what's available. Want something that is kid friendly as my kids will be totally involved in their up keep. As for what we are looking for in a bird right now just eggs. I do plan once we move to raise chickens for both eggs and meat but for now we have the rabbits for that and I don't want to get too overwhelmed here and then try to figure out how to move it all when the time comes

Tractor Supply and WW Feed in Hemet has both these breeds in now.

Hello everyone! No chickens here yet, but have been researching for almost a year. We got a house in Yucaipa this past summer and hope to have our chicken coop ready in a couple of weeks. We plan to have 6 chickens and 1 rooster. We visited the tractor supply store, but they do not carry the breeds we want. If anyone knows of any breeders or pet/feed stores out in the IE who carry these, please let me know. We'd like to buy chicks in the following breeds;
Easter Egger
New Hampshire Red
Buff Orpington
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Gold Laced Wyandotte
Barred Rock

I know of Chickens Galore in Norco, but his reviews have not been positive lately. I think I would avoid him for now.

But maybe you just caught your Tractor Supply on a bad day? I know of people who have gotten some of those breeds from that store. A friend of mine who shops there said he only wanted Rhode Island Reds and all they had were Easter Eggers. Go figure.

I shop exclusively at my local one-man feed store, and my 13-hen flock has in it right now: Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire Red, Buff Orpington, Easter Eggers, Dominiques and Delawares. I dropped by to get some layer mash yesterday and he had some Plymouth Rock chicks. I know he orders from Ideal. Maybe you can find someone to go into an order with you to get what you want?

Anyway, keep checking back with your local supplier. Things may change, especially right now, when they are getting lots of chicks in.

Hello everyone! No chickens here yet, but have been researching for almost a year. We got a house in Yucaipa this past summer and hope to have our chicken coop ready in a couple of weeks. We plan to have 6 chickens and 1 rooster. We visited the tractor supply store, but they do not carry the breeds we want. If anyone knows of any breeders or pet/feed stores out in the IE who carry these, please let me know. We'd like to buy chicks in the following breeds;
Easter Egger
New Hampshire Red
Buff Orpington
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Gold Laced Wyandotte
Barred Rock

WELL IF U can wait just tiny bit longer we we will be having our 7th annual bi-yearly chicken meet-up at Lake Elsinore on the 22nd of April. LOTS OF babies to choose from then/ OR IF U want to Private message me I can give U names from our FB group that do not go on BYC. All are int he Norco/Temecula area AND they all are people I WOULD buy chicks from as they make nice healthy babies :love

My kids were raised with games... great all around chickens, but have bad reputation. They lay better than my Rhode Island Reds (except winter, they won't lay).

Last edited:
We are getting chicks at the end of the week and I have a list of things we "need" in order to get started with them. *newly chicken owners here*
We've decided to get 10 pullets and 1 cockerel instead of the 6 and 1.
-For heat we will be using the mama heat pad.
-Brooder box
-Potty training pads for first few days. When do we switch to shavings?
-shavings
-waterer
-feeder
-starter feed

Is that really it? When do I begin to feed grit, oyster shells, treats (house scraps, homemade chicken treats, mealworms, etc)?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
My kids were raised with games... great all around chickens, but have bad reputation. They lay better than my Rhode Island Reds (except winter, they won't lay).
I LOVE my game rooster Buddy the Wonderbird. DA BOMB! He also goese to public venues educating peoples about what "fighting roosters" are NOT..vicious mean killers of all living things..
AND he has great table manners....

Back
Top Bottom