California-Inland Empire

Pics
I met up in Escondido a week ago with a gal from BYC who sold me four 6 mo old EE hens. I am thrilled with them, and they are starting to see me as the 'treat lady'. They still haven't warmed up yet to the roo, who is doing his best. :)

Last edited:
If anyone is looking to add to thier flock.....this weekend in Victorville at the San Bernardino Fair grounds. There will be a poultry fancier show and there is always a "traders row" where you can pick up some quality birds in BQ and SQ in many breeds.Also would give you a chance to see birds exhibited to the standard of perfection.You can google for the address

Hi,
I know this is two years later from your post but I am in Mira Loma & am working on starting a co-op arrangement to get Scratch and Peck organic corn free/soy free feed. Azure Standard carries this one so wasn't sure if it was that brand or the other one they carry you were trying to get. I am still farther away from you but might have inconsistent errands closer to you as parents live in Sun City. Anyways if you haven't found a source/arrangement you are entirely happy with for feed in the last 2 years, my website is www.thehappyhealthychicken.com & I am working on getting the first order together soon (hopefully in the next 3 weeks) and hoping to seel it as close to wholesale as possible to encourage quanitity purchases so I don't have to store a lot (one ton min. order). Trish

hello everyone,
I'm from Wildomar! I'm new to raising chickens and would love some tips on raising chickens in the "desert".. what breeds do well in our area? How do you keep them cool in the blazing summers?
Where do you get your supplies?
thank you!

Hi,
I'm new to all this as well so might not be as much help. I have seen posts suggesting that chickens love having a kiddie pool where they can get to it. Wal Mart sells the small ones for $10. As far as breeds that do well in the heat, I suggest reading the reviews on here of breeds. I found them easier by actually using the google search engine for each particular breed I have been interested in and then clicking on the byc link that goes to the reviews. There is usually a chart and "tolerates heat" or "tolerates cold" is listed with a ranking. There arfe so many breeds of chickens & I think everyone's individual preferences and reasons for having them have to be weighed in and also checking which ones do well in a mixed flock if you are like me and want to see lots of varieties. For our family, kid friendly was number one priority, followed by other factors. Some people want egg production as number one priority, so all that has to be considered. Some people don't want any breed where the hens tend to go broody. I found in my research that some of the prettier, friendlier breeds that do well in mixed flocks & were heat & cold hardy were breeds known for broodiness so I got some of those as well.

As far as other supply sources, I am planning on selling Scratch and Peck organic chicken feed soon in the Mira Loma area about 40 mins north of you but there is someone on Craigslist closer to you in Aguana selling Modesto Mills organic chicken feed so you might look them up by going to Inland Empire Craigslist & typing in "organic chicken" in the search engine.

I bought some standard feeders on amazon, my plastic snap lock chicken coops on ebay, some automatic dog waterers that hook to the hose at Valley Vet Supply online & built enclosures for the coops with S40 pvc pipe & chicken wire from the hardware store.

Hope this helps at all, I know I am always on the internet researching things & appreciate everyone's posts on BYC with all their helpful hints & suggestions as I learn this new world of chickens!

Trish
www.thehappyhealthychicken.com

Hi Holdfast, I'm also in wildomar. I have a few varieties of hens and they all do fine in the heat, although my leg horn seems to overheat easier. I will spray mine down with a mist during the hottest days also they absolutely go crazy for frozen watermelon. Just cut in 1/4's and freeze with the rind on. it really helps to keep them cool.

Good Luck

Hello aboverubiesmom and momma, thank you for all the information, I really appreciate it!!

Do you guys find that keeping chickens is expensive?
How do your neighbors tolerate them?

I'm trying to do as much research as I can before I get them.

thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom