California - Northern

That is great news Debi, I hope she continues on her path to health.

Your original post has caused me to do a lot more reading on vent gleet as well, nasty stuff.
I'm not sure what caused it with this hen but I'm suspecting some long pieces of grass that we threw out to them last weekend. We gave them the grass clippings from the front yard but there were also some 8 in. long pieces of grass that we pulled from the flower beds. I usually cut them up into smaller pieces but I forgot to tell George to do that. Fantene may have already had the fungus/vent gleet and the long grass stuck in her crop may have caused the sour crop. It's just a guess. I am back to giving my whole flock plain yogurt in the AM, fermented feed later on in the day, and ACV in their water.

Petrock, that is great to hear about your chicken! I have been thinking about her.
Thanks! I have to get her better so I can have more time to play with babies next week!
wink.png

Cute and congrats!
love.gif

Out of the bator and into the tank. No idea which one is "Willie". They kept laying in the little rock filled water bowl so they still have wet bellies. To soon to sex but the lightest one looks like a girl to me.

frow.gif
Welcome to the thread &
welcome-byc.gif
!!
Nope no chickens I'm a duck mom ..had chickens when I was growing up But started out now with ducks this last year...10 total now with the 3 new babys hatched yesterday

This is all my kids..lolol

Another SoCal transplant! I was born in LA county, grew up in Orange county. My stepfather has worked at Disneyland for 36 years.

I'm a So Cal transplant too! I'm the third generation born in L.A. . I am so much happier living up here. Most people wonder how I could ever leave L.A., like it's some shiny mecca; I won't move back, heck I'm just biding my time until hubby and I can scrape enough money together to move out into a more rural area. All but 2 of my friends that aren't animal people think I'm nuts for this.

I have a question for you guys…

I've been doing a lot of research recently to try and figure out which type of chickens would be best to get for my situation. I've been getting a lot of conflicting information online.

I'm looking for a bird that is cold hearty, a decent egg layer, and friendly. I guess the importance would be in that order. I definitely want the birds for eggs, but they don't necessary need to be laying like crazy. It really is important that they are cold hardy since the city is so chilly at night. Ideally, they would be friendly as well since we'd like to bring them inside sometimes. :)

Do you guys have any suggestions? So far, it seems my best option would be Buckeyes but they seem to be hard to find.
And no roosters, right? Do you want to raise the chicks yourself or get older pullets that don't need to be brooded? If you want chicks, sexed hatchery chicks from a feed store or autosexing or sexlinks from a breeder would probably be the best way to go. Since it doesn't get below freezing in SF, cold hearty shouldn't be much of an issue. Any of the calm, larger, heavy bodied breeds would probably appreciate the cool weather, so you are cursed with the luxury of lots of options.

As for the conflicting information you are getting, I think some of that may stem from the how the birds are bred. Hatchery birds often differ from quality breeder stock in temperament and physical appearance, but they tend to be better layers (at least for the first few years) and are not as often broody. I find that most people don't clarify where their chickens come from when discussing the merits of the breed, but a hatchery Plymouth Rock, for example, can be a very different bird from what you would see exhibited at a show.

I have been very happy with my hatchery girls, who turn 1yr soon. The Gold Sexlink and New Hampshire are excellent layers, followed closely by Buff Orpington, Black Australorp (love her!), and EE (sold as Ameraucana). All of these are friendly and calm. Personality wise, the Barred Rock (a favorite) is one of the friendliest and talkative, but is less of a consistent layer. The White Leghorn is a super layer, but she is nutty and a bit aggressive towards the rest, although friendly to people. The Silver Laced Wyandotte is an ok layer with an ok temperament, but she is vocal and complains a lot (hence the name Grumpus). The Welsummer is also very loud, and very skittish, but lays nice rusty specked eggs. These characteristics seem to be common for most of the folks I know who have the same types of hatchery birds. I also have 2 Ameraucanas from a breeder (Chickee) that I like very much. They are quiet and docile and one is very friendly. Pretty eggs too. I have never had any of them in the house, so can't speak to that.
big_smile.png

Hope this helps a little. There are sooo many options, and I have a wish list a mile long. You should get birds that you think are attractive as well. Some of them are so beautiful, it's like having a living work of art! Good luck to you!
frow.gif

Buckeye breeders association page has people listed as breeders locally. Mario wanted one for mice control but I read they are bullies to other chickens. I have silkies and some docile girls so I don't need a bully. Of course every girl is different.

I love my marans. The great thing about heritage marans and silkies are the long lay time. Catalina, my lead hen is starting her 4th season. She is still laying about every other day and goes broody twice a year. Her egg is not as dark anymore but it is very big. Bbl time to feed silkies and give them their party.
My most friendly birds are my New Hampshire reds and my black sex links. They are cold Harry and also lay very well.

Quick update on my OE with vent gleet. I'm pretty sure that she also had/has sour crop. Her crop was big and squishy like a partially filled water balloon. She wasn't eating or drinking on her own and not pooping. I read almost every post on sour crop that I could find and opted for trying monistat 3 suppositories to treat it. They come 3 in a package and you cut them into thirds then feed the chicken one piece every morning and night until they are gone. After 2 treatments, she started pooping but it was green bile poop. We are now 5 treatments into it so almost half way and last night she started eating egg from my hand and not resisting the fortified water from the dropper. Her poop is changing from the bright green to black. She is also more alert. She is walking around in the dog kennel and looking all over when sitting in my lap. Her crop is still a little squishy but much smaller than it was. I am also using the cream that comes with the suppositories on her vent. I am encouraged with her progress. She had until today to show signs of improvement. The ax man comes home from Santa Cruz today but I'm happy that it looks like he will have the weekend off from that job!
yesss.gif

Yay! So happy she is doing better. Great job!

Back
Top Bottom