California - Northern

game fowl people are in the top 10 of most intense breeders IMO.
I find them fascinating because it seems like such an American thing. Each line started with some guy with a plan.

How old are the oldest lines?
Be careful, we are not allowed to post about them on BYC. This thread has been edited because of this topic.

Yeah, let's not go off half-cocked here...

<*snort, snort*> I crack myself up sometimes.

lau.gif

There's a gamefowl specialty show at the CA State Fair every year. The people that raise those birds are just as proud of their accomplishments as every other breeder. There was a gamefowl show at the big Stockton show too.

I was thinking those were gamefowl too. I would say they are a tad prouder of their birds - we had a friend who raised them in Mexico and he would get $5000 a bird...
ep.gif

I think the note was supposed to say "Anything sold is NOT for illegal purposes!!!".. no other reason to put that there except to say that. I agree it was probably a translation mixup.

HOWEVER - these ARE the roosters you cannot pen together - ever. They are super flock protectors and the hens are super protective mommies too.. ware anything that tries to get their chicks!

Last edited:
Does anyone know about the Bar-Ale GMO free feed? The place I'm trying to get to bring in the King Feed carries the Bar-Ale feed and she brought in their GMO free feed from them for me to try.

Comparing the tags, they're pretty close except that Bar Ale doesn't have the snap peas, peanut hulls and lima beans. And some of the stuff is in different orders although both list Ground Wheat and the first ingredients.

I think someone posted a questions about Bar-Ale feed but I don't think it was their GMO free feed, anyone have experience with it?

Does anyone know about the Bar-Ale GMO free feed? The place I'm trying to get to bring in the King Feed carries the Bar-Ale feed and she brought in their GMO free feed from them for me to try.

Comparing the tags, they're pretty close except that Bar Ale doesn't have the snap peas, peanut hulls and lima beans. And some of the stuff is in different orders although both list Ground Wheat and the first ingredients.

I think someone posted a questions about Bar-Ale feed but I don't think it was their GMO free feed, anyone have experience with it?
Someone used Bar Ale--I think it was Pet Rock or Juststruttin. I do not think it was GMO Free.

Capayvalley chick may have used it too. Did it have Mineral Oil in it?

Someone used Bar Ale--I think it was Pet Rock or Juststruttin. I do not think it was GMO Free.

Capayvalley chick may have used it too. Did it have Mineral Oil in it?

that's me, i use the Bar Ale no-soy layer formula, but it's not GMO free -- and yes it has mineral oil, i think that's the one thing someone (Kim? Deb?) pointed out was less desirable about it.

my local feedstore carries organic stuff by Modesto Mills, but only the non-organic Bar Ale -- but i like Bar Ale because (a totally self-serving reason) it comes in a 40# bag instead of 50#, which is easier to carry down the rather uneven path to my coop. and the chicklets seem to like it.

broody/chick update: Eleanor & her two chicks (one i'm already calling Max Jr, since it's the only one of my own mutt eggs that hatched) and Frances & her 6 are all doing wonderfully, but all is not well in Speedy's nest, although i have no idea what's going on -- the scalped chick is still doing okay, although i found it wandering the main run, outside of its enclosure, cheeping loudly -- once i returned it to Speedy, i also noticed a) the icelandic/CL chick looks great, b) one of the icelandic/marans chick is holding one wing oddly, like it's been injured, and generally seems weak, and c) the 4th chick, either an ice/marans cross or the one pure marans, is missing completely. can't find any trace of it anywhere. rather disturbing, but i'm not sure what to do at this point.

that's me, i use the Bar Ale no-soy layer formula, but it's not GMO free -- and yes it has mineral oil, i think that's the one thing someone (Kim? Deb?) pointed out was less desirable about it.

my local feedstore carries organic stuff by Modesto Mills, but only the non-organic Bar Ale -- but i like Bar Ale because (a totally self-serving reason) it comes in a 40# bag instead of 50#, which is easier to carry down the rather uneven path to my coop. and the chicklets seem to like it.

broody/chick update: Eleanor & her two chicks (one i'm already calling Max Jr, since it's the only one of my own mutt eggs that hatched) and Frances & her 6 are all doing wonderfully, but all is not well in Speedy's nest, although i have no idea what's going on -- the scalped chick is still doing okay, although i found it wandering the main run, outside of its enclosure, cheeping loudly -- once i returned it to Speedy, i also noticed a) the icelandic/CL chick looks great, b) one of the icelandic/marans chick is holding one wing oddly, like it's been injured, and generally seems weak, and c) the 4th chick, either an ice/marans cross or the one pure marans, is missing completely. can't find any trace of it anywhere. rather disturbing, but i'm not sure what to do at this point.
Is the hen in by herself with the chicks? Sounds to me, that the hen or other hens are brutalizing the chicks. I think you have enough evidence to take the chicks away from this hen. Is it possible to give them to one of the other hens that is being a good mom?

Maybe it's time to take them from her?

Back
Top Bottom