California - Northern

I know the hens look amazing I wonder about the cockerels. I think they seem to be lagging a bit (at least in coloration) than the girls. Here are the 2 cockerels Neil has access to. The one with the barring in the tail is a Kathy bird from Kim's culls. The one with the back turned here is one from Jules (fortyfivefarm) line. We both have 2 pullets from Kim's culls. I think it is definitely harder with the boys because you usually cull them harder than the girls and don't usually have the option to keep backups like you can layers.
The male with the barring is quite a bit closer to the Standard than the other male. The Kathy males and females are about equal in conformation but the females are getting closer to the Standard color. I have judged the bird that won at Red Bluff and it did even better at that show. So the color is what is taking time. Even well established breeds/colors need constant attention to color. It is a difficult color pattern but folks like Kim and others that are working on these Dels are getting closer and closer to the color Standard. I think they are close to the Standard in conformation. Walt

Maybe some of yall can help Out with something.I am supposed to have one Delaware chick and one golden sex link chick but unfortunately I can't figure out which is which lol. My husband thinks I have 2 Goldens but I just don't know.

Maybe some of yall can help Out with something.I am supposed to have one Delaware chick and one golden sex link chick but unfortunately I can't figure out which is which lol. My husband thinks I have 2 Goldens but I just don't know.
The yellow chick is likely the Del--you can see the white in the wings. The red one is likely a red sexlink or production red.

The male with the barring is quite a bit closer to the Standard than the other male. The Kathy males and females are about equal in conformation but the females are getting closer to the Standard color. I have judged the bird that won at Red Bluff and it did even better at that show. So the color is what is taking time. Even well established breeds/colors need constant attention to color. It is a difficult color pattern but folks like Kim and others that are working on these Dels are getting closer and closer to the color Standard. I think they are close to the Standard in conformation.

Walt
thanks that kind of lets me know where we will go with this. We will take that Kathy male and mate him to all 4 of our pullets this summer and try and try and advance them that way. I do think we will hatch some out crosses to the other male as well just to see how they turn out but the others will come first.

I was going to say the chick alone in the pic is the del the other would be the golden sexlink (sexlink is not a hybrid breed name really dont let 1zooman12 find you using the term.) The red in the down to me tells me thats the golden one. Delaware tend to be yellow to white in their down. Ive seen some red sexlinks that come in with white wings as chicks it really depends on the cross.

He is still challenging me occasionally but I just pick him up & carry him around for 5 mins & then he remembers his manners.
I have found he really hates feed scoops. (?)

He's in "time out" from the flock because I believe he was exhausting himself (to the point that he lost a lot of weight) trying to service so many hens.
He is very dedicated to all his wimmens.
With PoultryDrench & rest, I am seeing rapid improvement.

Cool! Happy and relieved! Kern

Hi Laura, thank you for sharing your experience with Marans. I am happy that you found a good home for your rooster. I saw photos of him, and he was simply very handsome! Do you have any photos of the chicks you hatched recently? Any extra pullet chicks ; )

Lual

i am delighted to report that the new owner of my rooster sent photos of him settling in with his new home and flock, and everyone seemed quite delighted!  the guy commented on how the rooster was far more of a gentleman with the rest of the flock than their previous rooster (who was killed by some loose dogs), and much less aggressive with his family.

and i haven't taken any recent photos of the chicks, but can try to get some -- they're living in a rather un-photogenic cardboard box of a brooder right now, but hoping they'll soon be feathered enough to move outdoors.  a friend is coming tomorrow to pick up the five silver campines for his flock; uncertain of gender yet for the four marans, one marans/isbar cross, and two splash isbars (although one of the marans is definitely looking boyish).  if you are interested in marans pullets, i can certainly let you know once their gender is clearer!

best,
laura

That would be wonderful! I have a friend who has very small number (3)hens who fell in love with my chicks, and would like to add 3 or 4 pullets, and if they are dark, or colored eggs as well, he will be very happy. He loves his birds; built a very large coop, and run which they stay in when he is at work. So the birds would be going to a very nice home. Unfortunately I don't have any extra chicks to share, but promised to keep my eyes open for the kind of birds he would like.

Yes, please let me know when you know what sex they are. You don't have to take photos for him. I will show some of your photos in your album to get a bit of idea what they look like. They are all very pretty birds which I am sure he will really like them.

Thank you!

I cannot say enough good stuff about Pita Pintas in this regard. I have 2 Buff Orps 6 Delawares 1 Pita Pinta and 1 Cream Legbar and they all get along very well. The only problems we ever had were so minor and were only as the younger (smaller birds) would draw attention to themselves by being affraid of the bigger birds. Some small order adjustments but nothing overly dramatic. I picked up 4 buff orp chicks Friday and almost picked up a Marans and a Sicilian buttercup but passed because I was worried about drama over time. I have 8 chicks at 4 weeks 5 Pitas and 3 CLB and I will say the Pita attitude rubs off on the CLB who are usually skittish but are behaving like the pitas they were raised with, Pitas are calm friendly generally quiet and just simply amazing chicken.
"Temperament: active, inquisitive, very tame, hardy, lays all winter. Seldom broody, heavy, quiet and not flighty". Got this info off ShowChickens.com - would you concur that this is an accurate temperament assessment of your Pitas? Sounds very much like the description of Swedish Flower Hens who are also a spotted variety of chicken.

Back
Top Bottom