California - Northern

New additions - silver crele & regular crele polish chicks

Thank you @juststruttin

omg! They are adorable. Love those lil poofs on their heads.

X2
smile.png

I cannot personally affirm this because I have never had turkeys except for the politician who moved to a house adjoining my ranch in the rear. Since his feathers are not entirely visible, he does not count in this thesis. (LOL!) Speaking of neighbors, I did have one tell me that in anticipation of obtaining poults that he would get a handful of day old chicks 3 weeks before the arrival of the turkey youngsters. He claimed that it was monkey see; monkey do, which worked. It makes sense to me but as I said, I cannot vouch for the method; it just seems plausible. Should you try it would you let all of us know the outcome. Maybe one or more of our grand respondents will know the answer.
Sincerely,
Neal, the Zooman

I cannot personally affirm this because I have never had turkeys except for the politician who moved to a house adjoining my ranch in the rear.  Since his feathers are not entirely visible, he does not count in this thesis. (LOL!)  Speaking of neighbors, I did have one tell me that in anticipation of obtaining poults that he would get a handful of day old chicks 3 weeks before the arrival of the turkey youngsters.  He claimed that it was monkey see; monkey do, which worked.  It makes sense to me  but as I said, I cannot vouch for the method; it just seems plausible.  Should you try it would you let all of us know the outcome.  Maybe one or more of our grand respondents will know the answer.
Sincerely,
Neal, the Zooman

You are correct on several points! ! I had also heard about placing the poult with week old chicks. So they are in with week old pp/marans crosses. The marans ran back and forth from the turkey to the feeders like "come on Ding dongs...." I also dipped their beaks in the water , dry crumbles and wet crumbles. Today I added keys to the mix and " wham " they are eating. Also the baby I placed a bandaid on is up standing tall following the others. I'll leave it in place a few more days.
What a wild experiment of fine tune balances life is.

So sorry about the illness. Definitely have a necropsy, so you know for sure what you are dealing with and how to proceed.

I read that MN has banned poultry shows due to AI. They may not be allowing birds to leave the state. That would effect your order.

Thanks and I am so sorry about your boar. I appreciate the intel re. Minnesota and birds. I will call tonight. And see what the story is. I know Urch line Houdan are good quality but their communication with the buyers is poor and I will remember to not have any sort of expectations re. be kept informed. If I didn't have other people on the order it would be easier. Like I said, with the illness it seems like the best thing would be for them to NOT come.

Thanks and I am so sorry about your boar. I appreciate the intel re. Minnesota and birds. I will call tonight. And see what the story is. I know Urch line Houdan are good quality but their communication with the buyers is poor and I will remember to not have any sort of expectations re. be kept informed. If I didn't have other people on the order it would be easier. Like I said, with the illness it seems like the best thing would be for them to NOT come.
The best way to contact the Urch\Turnland folks is to call them. They will respond to email, but that was Phyllis Urch. The Turnlands may have taken over my now.

I hope they are still able to fill your order!

I have called several times over the past few months. Mr. Urch is always cordial but I always feel like I am a bother which makes me all tongue tied and I forget to ask him him everything I intend...

I am heartsick. Discovered one of my girls with a swollen face yesterday.   She doesn't stink so I think it is some form of respiratory condition.  Spent hours yesterday cleaning the coop, waterers etc. with a bleach solution.  This morning another girl is developing swollen eyes.   I have them quarantined but the more I read the more I know that I have to cull them and anyone else who turns up with the same symptoms.   I am praying that no one else gets sick.  I will do the culling tonight.

I was going to be meeting a guy this coming weekend to sell him two girls but now I have to tell him that I can't

In addition today is the last ship day for Urch for the year.  I sent my order in February and they haven't shipped yet and no phone call today.  It is just after 11:00 am in Minnesota I would have thought I would have heard by now but maybe not.  Anyway...I have two other people roped in on this order with me and I don't know what to do if I don't get the call today.  I can certainly refund their money in hopes that the Urches will refund mine but I feel badly just the same and really disappointed too.

On the other hand since I have sickness in my flock I am almost hoping they don't ship.  I would rather wait a year and get this whole infection thing under control and eradicated.

I am assuming the peacocks or some of the wild birds that are plentiful around here brought it.   I keep a pretty clean coop  and my flock free ranges so it is not an overcowding/unsanitary conditions thing.   All runs are covered but ground squirrels and small birds can get into the pens and I often leave the gates open when the girls are ranging so they have a nesting place.

I am just sad and not looking forward to what I know I have to do. 

It could be an eye infection. If you do cull I would do one and ask for a reply asap in case. Keep the other areas qd.

Sorry I'm not replying much but its still too crazy.

And now I have a sad question. One of my grow out pens with 6-8 weeks olds is being decimated in the last 3 days. Yesterday I lost 1/2 the pen! Crops empty. Dying overnight under the heat or out of it. I lost 3 more last night. Eyes clear nose clear. I sent some in to davis this morning but I'm in a panic for the 4 babies left. I'm giving them sulfa but I'm not thinking that it is cocci. All other pens are fine with leads me to think something in the flooring or feed. I moved them with new feed and water but anyone think of any hail Marys I can try? I at least want to do what I can :((
( it new feed as of yesterday so I don't think it is the current feed)

It could be an eye infection. If you do cull I would do one and ask for a reply asap in case. Keep the other areas qd.

Sorry I'm not replying much but its still too crazy.

And now I have a sad question. One of my grow out pens with 6-8 weeks olds is being decimated in the last 3 days. Yesterday I lost 1/2 the pen! Crops empty. Dying overnight under the heat or out of it. I lost 3 more last night. Eyes clear nose clear. I sent some in to davis this morning but I'm in a panic for the 4 babies left. I'm giving them sulfa but I'm not thinking that it is cocci. All other pens are fine with leads me to think something in the flooring or feed. I moved them with new feed and water but anyone think of any hail Marys I can try? I at least want to do what I can
sad.png
(
( it new feed as of yesterday so I don't think it is the current feed)
Do you have some Oregano in your yard? Try feeding them some. Added: until UCD tells you what is going on.

I have this now--am giving it to them every two weeks.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Health/RopaPoultry-Oregano-Oil-Supplement-p1374.aspx

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom