California Rabbit fur color change.

araeihrig

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 4, 2014
Trumbull County Ohio
This is what my California Doe looked like when I got her. She is a couple of years old.

Now this is what she looks like

I didn't know they could change colors...

What a lovely doe you have!
I have a California cross buck, and he has seasonal changes with his marks too. Over the summer his nose will lighten until it's almost silvery. Right now he looks like your girl in the top photo. Neat!

The gene that causes the "pointed" pattern on Californian rabbits is often called the Himi gene, named for the Himalayan rabbit breed that it comes from. As you said, the expression of it is temperature sensitive; dark pigment gets deposited in hair growing where the skin is cooler. Himi babies are indistinguishable from Ruby-eyed White babies at birth; as they get bigger and their fur grows in, the darker points gradually appear. Kits that get chilled during their growth often show some dark pigment in the part of their coats that was forming at the time the chilling took place. Depending on how cool they got, it can be just a vague tinge of color (like your younger doe), or it can be pretty intense. I have seen himi-patterned babies that had such a dark band in their hair, they looked a bit like light Chinchillas!

Back
Top Bottom