California-Southern

hi everyone! I'm in los angeles, and I'm raising chickens with dtla only a few miles away! this is my first flock of 4 chicks and I'm loving the farm life.

welcome-byc.gif
L.A. is really growing with chicken enthusiasts! We're in East SGV.

Had to finally go to the webpage to upload the mobile app wasnt working.

The eggs minus the two she HAD to have under her.

The tarp she took up residency under

One VERY angry bird

I do believe this is her bright it on stance

Cage set up. Food and water and a place to poop

Her dont even think about touching me again look.

When the chicks are born is it going to be an issue with the blue bin shes in. Or do i need to make a ramp for the chicks? Miss blue is currently in soft shavings will this be a mess when babies hatch? Will the babies be able to squeeze out of the crate? Or am i over thinking things?

The eggs minus the two she HAD to have under her.

The tarp she took up residency under

One VERY angry bird

I do believe this is her bright it on stance

When the chicks are born is it going to be an issue with the blue bin shes in. Or do i need to make a ramp for the chicks? Miss blue is currently in soft shavings will this be a mess when babies hatch? Will the babies be able to squeeze out of the crate? Or am i over thinking things?

Mine hatched on dirt so I couldnt tell you about shavings. Broody will help em out if they need it. just stack some wood in front of the bin... those little guys can use their wings a little right off. I had one hen hatch in a dog house on a couch cushion so they were setting up about six inches off the ground. I stacked wood on the ground to make sort of stair steps....

WRT getting out... just line the cage with cardboard about six to eight inches up. Just be a ware of any places that a chick could get stuck someone else on another list i am on called it Chickocide....

deb

The only "hazard" I see for the chicks is that when they hatch the curious little darlings are going to walk right out of the dog crate fence. If you want to confine the chicks with their momma then I suggest very small holes hardwire around the bottom of the cage to keep the chicks from wandering out and getting into mischief where the momma can't reach them to help.

Yeah i think ill put cardboard or fencing so they cant. Im so excited it hasnt even been a week yet and i want them born already. So you dont thinj the bucket thing is too high? Or just kinda add a little ramp almost?

2x4 board the length of the crate will give the chicks a "step" but they are so bouncy as chicks they probably won't need it after a week. If you use a "ramp" it will slide down if there are no "hooks" to attach it to the crate. The momma and chicks will knock the ramp off. GL!

Originally Posted by sol2go
thanks! we brought home 4 chicks 4 weeks ago and they've been so much fun. we have frizzle sizzle cochins and smooth and standard silkies. on days that have been warm here i let them roam the backyard and they love it, they hunt down bugs and eat the weeds. its pretty cool to see city hall in the distance as i listen to the chicks peeping! i feel like a real farmer! here are my little girls:

Originally Posted by sol2go
thanks! we brought home 4 chicks 4 weeks ago and they've been so much fun. we have frizzle sizzle cochins and smooth and standard silkies. on days that have been warm here i let them roam the backyard and they love it, they hunt down bugs and eat the weeds. its pretty cool to see city hall in the distance as i listen to the chicks peeping! i feel like a real farmer! here are my little girls:

Nicely photographed! And cute too =) I am unable to settle on a favorite from your flock, have you?
Glad you get to enjoy the contextual juxtaposition.

Nicely photographed! And cute too =) I am unable to settle on a favorite from your flock, have you?
Glad you get to enjoy the contextual juxtaposition.

there is no way i could pick a favorite but the one in the bottom pic (miss america) is pretty special. she totally ran across a lawn to us at the breeder's, ran back to the coop and grabbed a friend and came back over to us. she never runs away from me and always wants to be picked up! the black one (siouxsie sioux) and her will jump on the edge of the brooder for me to pick them up, which is pretty cute. the white one (the baby baby- named cuz she's going to look like our poodle) started off really gangly so its fun to see her feathers come and in and see how cute she is getting. the orange one (penny) is super slow growing, I've been really working with her to try to get her bigger, hoping she's a runt or late bloomer...

Back
Top Bottom