California-Southern

Hello! Do you know if the Newcastles outbreak is slowing down at all? I have some beautiful Phoenix Chickens that I want to list for sale but I am afraid to do so now.

I just talked with my vet's office -- he's cared for my backyard chickens for 8 years. His office said the high alert for Newcastles in Southern California is still in force. In fact, end of January the Southern California Poultry show was cancelled due to the continuing threat of Newcastles. End of February the warnings are still prevalent for 3 counties -- San Bdno, Riverside, and L.A.

Hello! Do you know if the Newcastles outbreak is slowing down at all? I have some beautiful Phoenix Chickens that I want to list for sale but I am afraid to do so now.

Aww I love Phoenixes! What color variety do you have?

So there were 6 new cases of vND last week but I wouldn't call that slowing down yet. What area are you in? If you're not in a quarantine zone you're allowed to sell but I'd play it safe and just sell to people in your immediate area. Or hold onto your birds until this is over. Shelter in place sort of thing. This disease is awful.

Please check the cfda site for official facts and maps regarding vND. If you are in a quarantine zone, do not move your birds and take all precautions. If you are near a quarantine zone, it's best practice to behave as if you are quarantined. Let's do our part to eliminate this disease. Remember the vaccines available aren't effective for this strain so if your birds are vaccinated don't let that lull you into a false sense of safety.

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Animal_Health/Newcastle_Disease_Info.html

i am sorry that the quarantine is in place. But if you are looking to be good chicken keepers, i wish you would wait. before getting birds, please check out new castle disease and mavericks. Then learn all you can about bio-security and how to include it into your chicken keeping. As backyard chicken keeping becomes more popular, think about how many neighbors, co-workers, families in your children's school that have chickens. your shoes can bring home the diseases to your chickens. Breeders in So Cal WON'T even let you on their property to purchase chickens. They will meet you somewhere else. think about that. Bio-security becomes really important. I think of it as how i care for my children during flu season. i dont want my children near anyone coughing. I also dont want my chickens near any bird illness. Moving birds right now is scary. I know it is hard to wait...
sorry to rain on your chicken parade-

Hi fellas!!

im writting from upland Ca. socal

thinking about getting 5 chicks in the spring. The zoning code allows up to 5 chickens kept as pets, but doesnt give much more information than that.

I called the city and they were remarkably unhelpful.... noone knows anything about chickens (...being fair, chicken questions are probably not among top five questions lol!). :)

The police department referred me to animal control, but animal control doesnt return my calls (called twice).

hows everyone doing with chickens in upland? any problems? any advice? any laws i should know? anyone had problems with neighbors?

im very excited about it!!. it will be a great surprise for kids!! ;)

If you are in the 3 county QZ you can't even get new birds or eggs thru the mail. Seeing that the PO hub is right in a hot zone I can thoroughly understand why.

Paragraph from the statement made by the state Vet
No shipping, transporting, or receiving live poultry or poultry hatching eggs out of or into this regional quarantine area without prior written permission from CDFA.* This includes shipments via the United States Postal Service, private package shipping companies or similar methods

Back
Top Bottom