California-Southern

Update... Sybel, our SBEL is not getting better. She's 8/9 weeks old, just finished 1st treatment for worms with Wazine. She is eating well and drinking. She is still wobbling around with droopy eye lids. The only meds I have are Corid and Tetroxy. We don't have many options right now financially but we don't want to lose her, but I don't want to see her suffer for another week... Could she show Mareks this young? Please help.

I have a Sulpha drug at home that cleared up a mysterious bug my older chicks got, I will be driving down the 15 through Temecula tomorrow. If you want I can bring you some with me and we can meet up in my travels for you to try with her. I don't know the name because it is at home and I am at work, but I will let you know tonight what it is so you can research it if you'd like. Just let me know. :)

Update... Sybel, our SBEL is not getting better. She's 8/9 weeks old, just finished 1st treatment for worms with Wazine. She is eating well and drinking. She is still wobbling around with droopy eye lids. The only meds I have are Corid and Tetroxy. We don't have many options right now financially but we don't want to lose her, but I don't want to see her suffer for another week... Could she show Mareks this young? Please help.

I know you don't want to hear this. Same thing happened with us - a sick bird right when I needed to get the car tuned up, smogged, licensed, and insured and here I come down with a sick bird for $130 (she's cost us about $400 in vet bills this past year all for different things). But you know what? That $$$ was well spent at the vet as what I home diagnosed is not at all what was wrong with her. Only a vet can tell for sure and you save a lot of hit-and-miss agony stressing a sick bird that you have no idea what's wrong. I thought my girl was having crop issues but it turned out to be some digestive issue that a shot of Baytril and Albon Suspension for 5 days cured her right up - it wasn't worms as she was lab tested so some bacteria got into her and I would've lost her and stressed her treating for something else.

The smaller the pet the faster they deteriorate if not diagnosed immediately. Like I said, you don't want to hear it but it's the facts. I accumulate about $10-$20 a month into my pet fund just for emergency vet visits. So we don't have prime rib for dinners! I love Egg Souffle Quiche more anyway!

It is so-o-o nice of Camp Julsby to offer her help but if you don't know what is exactly wrong with the chick it will just stress it treating it for the wrong thing. As for Marek's it usually hits older juvies and there will be paralysis in the extremities. Of course with birds there are other maladies that can cause the same visual symptoms and only a vet can diagnose for certain. I hope you find the funds somewhere to take SBEL for a proper diagnosis. Prayers and wishes for your little one!

hosspak, have you tried her on POLY-VI-SOL NO iron yet? It could just be vitamin deficiency.... How long has she been like this? Sorta too young for worms.... Have you checked for mites/lice?

Last edited:
hosspak, have you tried her on POLY-VI-SOL NO iron yet? It could just be vitamin deficiency.... How long has she been like this? Sorta too young for worms.... Have you checked for mites/lice?
I have seen no bugs. Vit deficiency?? Hard to believe that since she gets what all others are getting. (fed very well). About a week.

In my flock, no bird will die without a dose of a sulfa drug if I can get to them first. Its magic stuff. I have had a few illnesses in my flock and have only lost about 8 birds out of several hundred to illness in 16 months

Try the medication offered by CJ. Also the vitamins are worth a try.

A vet seems out of the question and it wont kill her to try but may help.

I have seen no bugs. Vit deficiency?? Hard to believe that since she gets what all others are getting. (fed very well). About a week.

So many iffy suggestions on a bird that obviously is not getting better. Maybe the medications being given won't hurt but obviously are not making her better. Vet visit anyone?

It is a bit young for Mareks but as nothing else is working and wobbling is very typical of Mareks (as I believe are some eye problems), you need to think about it. Was the chick exposed to Mareks, especially at a young age?
Where did she come from? If a vet visit is out of the question I would give her vitamins and a shot of baytril. Nothing to loose at this point. If she dies send her off to be autopsied (it is free) and then you will know what to do if it happens again.

Back
Top Bottom