California-Southern

Hi from Tehachapi...my family and I are new to raising chickens. We have 6 chickens that almost 3 months old. We also had 2 Bantam Barred Rock chicks that are around 6 weeks old. Sadly a few days ago our dog slipped into the part of our property where we let the chickens free range and killed 1 of the 2 BBR. The remaining BBR is trying to become part of the older flock but the alpha hen won't have anything to do with her...no matter how hard the little Bantam tries. My family and I have become very protective of her. The kids have named her Pepper and she will jump up in there laps and go to sleep. She is also trying to attach herself two our 1 month old baby goslings...I worry that when the baby geese become older they will hurt her. So my question is does any one have a Bantam Rooster they would be willing to sell. I'm hopeful this would help our little bannie by giving her a mate. Unless someone here would advise against this.

Best regards;
Randy T

A roo should have more than one hen otherwise a roo will overmate a single hen. We watched our Silkie roo mate his sister over 12 times in just an hour - he was rehomed. A roo needs a harem.

Your BBR needs a couple Bantam pullet flockmates and not a harassing roo. We personally don't mix our Silkies with any heavy LF. Nothing over 5-lb in the flock and gentle-tempered. Geese are nasty as adults and will make mincemeat pie out of your bantam.

My bantam group of 3 pullets hang out together everywhere. You could probably reintroduce them (if you got 3) if you keep them insight of eachother with a see through fence and put them together after a few weeks. My bantams are pretty good about holding their own, but I have mostly calm birds.

Last edited:
I think we're going to go that route...I always wanted a bannie roo but not if he's going to torture bbr. The wife wants to put a diaper on her and keep her in the house...I don't think so lol.

Hello fellow So Cal people. I am in the High Desert area, Apple Valley
welcome-byc.gif
Hi, welcome to BYC. But we here don't consider High Desert people So. Cals...

Just kiddin... Post some pics of what brought you here... Again, welcome...we're all friends here.

I think we're going to go that route...I always wanted a bannie roo but not if he's going to torture bbr. The wife wants to put a diaper on her and keep her in the house...I don't think so lol.
Bantam Barred Rocks are darn cute, very pretty patterns. I recently met someone who readily mixes bantams with large fowl in a very large enclosure with multiple coops. The bantam barred roo was her personal favorite because of his disposition, very calm, sweet and beautiful.

Speaking of bantams, I am looking to rehome one of mine. She is a white bantams cochin almost a year old. She is often broody and in my small urban lot, this is not working for us. If you are looking for a broody hen, I have your gal. I am in the San Gabriel valley.

I personally Have fallen hard for my little Bantam Cochins. I am just smitten with the Mille Fluer coloration. I have 19 Mille Fleur and 6 Mottled eggs in the incubator right now.
Here are my two little Roos a few weeks ago. They are just geting more colorful as each day passes. Plus they are really sweet birds.

OldMcCountri, Welcome :) Like Hoss said, we love pictures.

Back
Top Bottom