California-Southern

Hmm we have never had that but I have nearly fallen over a goat because I am busy, not looking and they want to be close to people. We handle all our goats a lot and right off do not let them but or other negative behavior. Milking a goat is a big commitment indeed. It is also hard to leave and you have to be home in time and get up early to milk.
After realizing how chickens impact my schedule, I have often wondered about caring for animals that need milking...sounds like you have worked that out!

Hey, I guess I'm gonna jump into raising quail. What's a good breed for the Riverside seasons? Not looking to breed them but I want to start getting eggs for pickling..... Does anybody have them to sell and can someone bring them to the Norco meet up? Thanks

Rick, David on CPP said he had 10 females I thouht and was rehoming them. :) I'll see if I can find it and tag you.

Sorry found he's no rehoming but looking for more. :( I tried.

Last edited:
We're in Redlands and we've had Coturnix and bobwhites. I find the bobwhites too flighty and their males too aggressive, but they do seem to have a longer laying 'lifespan'. The Coturnix are docile, and as long as they have shade, game bird food, and water, you'll get eggs. Gambel's are the native type, so they'd do well, I am sure, but I am not sure about getting them. We have some young adult Coturnix quail that we're thinking of selling off so we can concentrate on our bantam chickens, but can't go to the meetup. If you're interested, pm me.

Hi! Just wondering if people on this thread have info about local sources for fertile eggs to hatch? Especially Bantam Cochin! I haven't had much luck with shipped eggs, so thinking either eggs shipped a short distance or eggs I can pick up might be a better option. Any info is very much appreciated!
smile.png

Calichicken, have you tried Chickens Galore in Norco? I got my bantam Cochin there, so I know that he has that breed, and she is in great health. The owner, Russell, couldn't be nicer. You may want to see if he would sell you fertile eggs. I'm sorry I don't have the number offhand but he has ads on Craigslist and you can Google the name.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Calichicken, have you tried Chickens Galore in Norco? I got my bantam Cochin there, so I know that he has that breed, and she is in great health. The owner, Russell, couldn't be nicer. You may want to see if he would sell you fertile eggs. I'm sorry I don't have the number offhand but he has ads on Craigslist and you can Google the name.

Ive been there too its awesome!
Thanks so much! I will give them a try and hopefully they will sell me some fertile eggs! The last time my girl went broody, I could only find day old chicks and tried to slip them under her at night,,,,no luck
roll.png
Thanks again!!!!!
big_smile.png

If anyone is looking for chicks just now I have a large hatch of a variety of breeds (purebred). They are super nice. Most are bantam.

So far I identified:

black cochin,
mottled cochin
standard white crested black polish
silver laced Sebrights
gold laced Sebrights
a couple of LF easter eggers

and a bunch of others
They cold be:
Black Tailed White Japanese, White Silkie, Black Silkie, Golden Laced Cochin, Barred Cochin, Partridge Cochin,, Buff Cochin, Red Cochin, Black Frizzle Cochin, White Frizzle Cochin. Norwegian Jaerhorn,

Back
Top Bottom