California-Southern

Hey Southern California backyard poultry lovers! The California Poultry Federation is hosting a Backyard Poultry Workshop on March 14 at the San Bernardino CAHFS lab (California Animal Health and Food Safety laboratory). Click on the CPF website (cpif.org) for more information or email Monica Della Maggiore at [email protected]. The workshop is open to all poultry enthusiasts and costs $20, with lunch included. Space is limited so registration is required. Free registration to the first 15 people.

I see Dr. Janet Moore will be presenting, that's a good indication of valuable content.

Hey all! I'm in Hemet California. Just breaking into the chicken world. Looking for retailers. Got my first coop up and Ready. Now I gotta fill it. Mostly looking for egg production
Wynadette, Plymouth rock and Rhode island red.
I'm big into gardening. Grow a huge vegetable garden each year. I very much wish I could own and operate a farm. Buuuttt the good Lord put me here, so here I am making the most of it.
wink.png

Hi, I admire your vegetable avatar and like your chicken list!

Wyandottes are among my favorite breeds, they are more like a fluffy puppy, and some have beautiful patterns. But I can't say I think of them as production egg layers. Maybe someone else has a different experience?
Have you seen the heritage Rhode Island Reds? They have a really deep color and solid body type.

If you are interested in how to find chickens...All of those chicken breeds have breeders clubs that you can access on line, with lists of registered breeders. There may also be some that will pop-up on this thread, or you can go to other threads on BYC specific to those breeds, including the buy-sell-trade section of BYC. The American Poultry Association (APA) has a variety of poultry shows throughout the year with great examples of the breed to look at and buy. People also buy directly from large and small hatcheries, or indirectly through local feed stores.

do you know where I might acquire Wynadette and/or Plymouth rock's?
I just ordered some Columbia Wyandotte and Partridge Rock Pullet chicks. I will be selling extras after I let them land and adjust for at least week to insure they are healthy enough for resale. If you are interested I can put you on a waiting list.

Thanks, Julie :)

Hey all! I'm in Hemet California. Just breaking into the chicken world. Looking for retailers. Got my first coop up and Ready. Now I gotta fill it. Mostly looking for egg production
Wynadette, Plymouth rock and Rhode island red.
I'm big into gardening. Grow a huge vegetable garden each year. I very much wish I could own and operate a farm. Buuuttt the good Lord put me here, so here I am making the most of it.
wink.png
welcome-byc.gif

You planned a good egg-layer mix with those dual purpose breeds you selected of equal weights -- they will be on equal ground for determining politics in their flock pecking order. As pullets they will get along but at maturity their tendency to bully emerges. Don't throw any gentle breeds into that mix like Faverolles or Silkies or Polish or Ameraucana because they will get bullied or chased around by the dual purpose you selected. JMHO. I personally would stay away from Wyans or Orps -- but your PR and RIR should keep the Wyans in their place. I plant a garden for our hens too. I plant a lot of cucumbers because my hens love them. Happy gardening & chickeneering!

You planned a good egg-layer mix with those dual purpose breeds you selected of equal weights -- they will be on equal ground for determining politics in their flock pecking order. As pullets they will get along but at maturity their tendency to bully emerges. Don't throw any gentle breeds into that mix like Faverolles or Silkies or Polish or Ameraucana because they will get bullied or chased around by the dual purpose you selected. JMHO. I personally would stay away from Wyans or Orps -- but your PR and RIR should keep the Wyans in their place. I plant a garden for our hens too. I plant a lot of cucumbers because my hens love them. Happy gardening & chickeneering!

I think it depends on the individual birds. I have always run a mixed breed flock, usually a combination of Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Ameraucana, Easter Egger, Barred Rock, Marans and a variety of other breeds, right now I also have Leghorn, Pioneer, Welsummer, and a couple of mixed breed hens in my flock, and I haven't ever had any issues with chronic bullying. They will usually have little "cliques" within the flock, I'll see the same birds hanging out with each other, but they also all intermingle and I only occasionally see arguments, and they are settled in a matter of seconds with no bloodshed.

I think it depends on the individual birds.  I have always run a mixed breed flock, usually a combination of Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Ameraucana, Easter Egger, Barred Rock, Marans and a variety of other breeds, right now I also have Leghorn, Pioneer, Welsummer, and a couple of mixed breed hens in my flock, and I haven't ever had any issues with chronic bullying.  They will usually have little "cliques" within the flock, I'll see the same birds hanging out with each other, but they also all intermingle and I only occasionally see arguments, and they are settled in a matter of seconds with no bloodshed.

I am totally with you on this. I have had Marans, Ameraucanas, leghorns, silkies, Legbars with bantam black tailed white Japanese and Seabrights and have not had a "bullying" problem or excess drama. If anything the most opinionated breed have been the Ameraucanas and silkies.

As long as the birds have plenty of room, things to do, food, water and safe paces to go they usually get on just fine.
Basically if well treated they should be happy.

Back
Top Bottom