California-Southern

I am totally with you on this. I have had Marans, Ameraucanas, leghorns, silkies, Legbars with bantam black tailed white Japanese and Seabrights and have not had a "bullying" problem or excess drama. If anything the most opinionated breed have been the Ameraucanas and silkies.

As long as the birds have plenty of room, things to do, food, water and safe paces to go they usually get on just fine.
Basically if well treated they should be happy.

I forgot to add I had bantams in my flock last year also, once again without issues. They were Mille Fleur d'Uccle and other than issues with the big roosters trying to breed the bantam hens, and the bantam rooster being in love with my Maran hen, there weren't any problems. Actually even the LF roosters weren't an issue, they were very gentle in their breeding attempts and never injured a bantam, they would stand with their feet on each side of her, vs on her back.

Hi i live in central california but will be driving down to Castaic on Saturday 2/14 to pick up a puppy. My husband is searching for some Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas and i thought id ask around if there is anyone down that way with anything available. I figured if were down that way anyways wouldnt hurt to ask.
Probably be willing to travel around a little for some too :)

I think it depends on the individual birds. I have always run a mixed breed flock, usually a combination of Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Ameraucana, Easter Egger, Barred Rock, Marans and a variety of other breeds, right now I also have Leghorn, Pioneer, Welsummer, and a couple of mixed breed hens in my flock, and I haven't ever had any issues with chronic bullying. They will usually have little "cliques" within the flock, I'll see the same birds hanging out with each other, but they also all intermingle and I only occasionally see arguments, and they are settled in a matter of seconds with no bloodshed.
People w/larger flocks have consistently said they don't have extreme bullying and especially if there's a roo to keep things in line. To have that many breeds you obviously have space & are zoned for a lot of chickens. In large spaces the breeds can break off into "cliques". We can only have 5 hens so it's imperative for us to keep compatible/equally-weighted breeds in our smaller backyard w/no roo. We had a couple Leghorns & one bully Marans in the mix and they ran rough-shod over the gentles. Seems like the larger the space & w/a roo there's less problems. But in our circumstance of a small backyard w/no roo allowed we learned the hard way to keep the temperaments of the breeds and the weights compatible w/each other. It's from sharing on these posts that I find a pattern emerging as I've had others w/smaller flocks say they have to be careful about the breeds they mix together in a smaller yard.

Hi i live in central california but will be driving down to Castaic on Saturday 2/14 to pick up a puppy. My husband is searching for some Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas and i thought id ask around if there is anyone down that way with anything available. I figured if were down that way anyways wouldnt hurt to ask.
Probably be willing to travel around a little for some too
smile.png

check with @TattooedMama
she had a recent hatch

People w/larger flocks have consistently said they don't have extreme bullying and especially if there's a roo to keep things in line. To have that many breeds you obviously have space & are zoned for a lot of chickens. In large spaces the breeds can break off into "cliques".

It's from sharing on these posts that I find a pattern emerging as I've had others w/smaller flocks say they have to be careful about the breeds they mix together in a smaller yard.

Interesting point, when I had a smaller flock (3-5) that was hens only I usually had just 1-2 breeds, and they were all similar sizes. I think the most variation I had with the smaller groups was when I had an Easter Egger, Welsummer, and Barred Rock. But even then they usually had free range of my back yard, which was about 90 x 100, when they were locked up their coop/run was 10x30, so still lots of space. These were also all hatchery birds, which I suspect have temperaments that tend to be more similar across the board.

Definitely something to keep in mind for people with smaller flocks in smaller areas.

Probably be willing to travel around a little for some too
smile.png
I got my eggs from @dfdesigns in Ramona, CA. She may have more available. I do not have any chicks for sale, I am keeping all that I hatched. I had good hatch rates with her eggs, which she does ship. She had cockerels last time I checked but might have chicks now. You can also contact her on FB https://www.facebook.com/IndigoRidgeFarm

Back
Top Bottom