California-Southern

LOL on chicken sampler. Just looked them up. Pretty chicken. Need one, but don't want to set up again for 1 baby. My oldest are right at 5 mos, youngest are 9 weeks. It says they are great foragers...do they need to range? Not much to range on here...other than dirt. Doggone drought. I only let them out in the eve when I'm down at the barn. They have a big area, 16X48 out, 12X16 barn stall for a coop. So hot, they won't come out of the barn stall except to poop all over the walkway and dig in my $18. per bale orchard hay (my other horse had colic surgery in Feb $$ feed for him)! I know these are rare breeds, but does anyone ever sell a nice adolescent? I'm now yearing for a BLRW and a BCM or FBCM (got the lingo!)

I may have some CL (Cream Legbar) pullets that don't fit my breeding program, but they haven't reached POL yet. They can take confinement, but are happier if they can forage - in dirt, hay, piles of leave, etc.

I may have some CL (Cream Legbar) pullets that don't fit my breeding program, but they haven't reached POL yet. They can take confinement, but are happier if they can forage - in dirt, hay, piles of leave, etc.
Need more education...what is POL? Here's my area. They're free to roam for a couple hrs in the evening right now. Let me know if one would be happy here?

Barn stall as coop

Outdoor run.
This is all I have till honey finishes other do's.

Need more education...what is POL? Here's my area. They're free to roam for a couple hrs in the evening right now. Let me know if one would be happy here?

Barn stall as coop

Outdoor run.
This is all I have till honey finishes other do's.

Hi,
POL is "point of lay", that thing we all wait for!
Thanks for sharing your setup, looks like you have good indoor/outdoor options.
It does look like horse property, almost funny to see the little chickens in there =)
Do you have any problems with predators?

I'll send you a PM (private message) about CL pullets.

Hi,
POL is "point of lay", that thing we all wait for!
Thanks for sharing your setup, looks like you have good indoor/outdoor options.
It does look like horse property, almost funny to see the little chickens in there =)
Do you have any problems with predators?

I'll send you a PM (private message) about CL pullets.
Right? I got some 'splainin' to do! I think they would be happier with a cozier "coop", but it is what it is. Mutt Farm gone rogue. I bought 3 BO chicks, manageable. Started looking at cheap cute coops. Dad (83, old farmer) brought 3 EE.s. K. Looking at cheap bigger coops. Then, dad asked me to order a catalog. 9 more chickens! The rest is history. Cheap coops are cheap. Hubby is handy, but busy. 15 chicks, no pen. WAIT! 5 stall barn with only 2 horses, so that's where they live for at least 6 more mos. Dad is having a ball with the chicks.
Problems with predators: not on my property yet. Coyotes and hawks are a real threat here, really the only threat. Coyotes have killed 8 turkeys and a chihuahua behind me. They are brazen. I have barn cats (fixed), they've been fine for years. Coyotes stalk the fence, eyeing up my other neighbors goats. We hear them every night. I have an Aussie that they don't want to mess with and Dad's RV is right there. The barn stall and outside area are 100% safe. I wouldn't worry letting them tootle around during the day now that they're older. There's the long answer!

Right? I got some 'splainin' to do! I think they would be happier with a cozier "coop", but it is what it is. Mutt Farm gone rogue. I bought 3 BO chicks, manageable. Started looking at cheap cute coops. Dad (83, old farmer) brought 3 EE.s. K. Looking at cheap bigger coops. Then, dad asked me to order a catalog. 9 more chickens! The rest is history. Cheap coops are cheap. Hubby is handy, but busy. 15 chicks, no pen. WAIT! 5 stall barn with only 2 horses, so that's where they live for at least 6 more mos. Dad is having a ball with the chicks.
Problems with predators: not on my property yet. Coyotes and hawks are a real threat here, really the only threat. Coyotes have killed 8 turkeys and a chihuahua behind me. They are brazen. I have barn cats (fixed), they've been fine for years. Coyotes stalk the fence, eyeing up my other neighbors goats. We hear them every night. I have an Aussie that they don't want to mess with and Dad's RV is right there. The barn stall and outside area are 100% safe. I wouldn't worry letting them tootle around during the day now that they're older. There's the long answer!

I would gladly take an enormous horse barn (or two) and fill it up with chickens. My husband renovated our barn/stalls to accommodate his metal and pottery workshops, which is pretty useful. Then he took the old, unused chicken mini-barn, and the goat mini-barn, and turned them into storage areas for his workshop materials.

When my chickens moved in, well, I think you can see where this is going…urban chicken sprawl, coops here, coops there...

Glad to know you have been able to manage your predator situation =)

My Mom is about your Dad's age, she also lives with us and enjoys the menagerie too.

Last edited:
@Miss Dottie and @sol2go Thank you for the great info! Amy, I'm in Woodcrest, would love to see your birds! So beautiful! The lawn art is stunning to me! I want one! I have 3 Buff O's, and 3 EE's I got from the feed store. Then I went NUTS in the catalogs! I added 1 Lavender Orph, 1 Bl Astralorp, 1 Deleware, 1 Silver Lace Wyandotte, 2 Gold Laced Wyandotte, 1 Blue Splash Marans, 1 White Marans and a Cuckoo Marans. All hens. I looked for cute friendly chickens that lay good eggs! None are laying yet...
sad.png
The Cukoo Marans is a comedy! Think she's ADHD. All sweet except the EE's! I had to trim their wing and they're not friendly
idunno.gif
Thanks again for the education.
@Mutt Farm Send me a PM, I would love to have you over to chat chickens! You have picked great breeds for friendliness and good looks...I think you will be very happy, especially when they start laying! They are almost there!

I would gladly take an enormous horse barn (or two) and fill it up with chickens. My husband renovated our barn/stalls to accommodate his metal and pottery workshops, which is pretty useful. Then he took the old, unused chicken mini-barn, and the goat mini-barn, and turned them into storage areas for his workshop materials.

When my chickens moved in, well, I think you can see where this is going…urban chicken sprawl, coops here, coops there...

Glad to know you have been able to manage your predator situation =)

My Mom is about your Dad's age, she also lives with us and enjoys the menagerie too.
I have a similar set up. I have a 5 stall L shaped box stall barn, hubby uses two for storage and such, I use 1 as a feed and tack room for both the chickens and the horses, and I have 2 stalls for my chickens, although my horse is sleeping in one at night right now. Most of my chickens are in outside runs made with commercial grade chain link, partially covered. Still moving them around to get just the right configuration.

I never cared for the typical coops, although they are very cute and wood is fun to paint. I have easier access to metal (family business and husband is an iron worker, lol). I want to have the strongest and most predator proof pen I can...when I am done it will look something like chicken Fort Knox. My husband is probably going to make me live out there too! lol

Quote:
My poultry dream house would be a pipe corral style construction with Frames for rafters and a tin roof. All covered with aviary wire.... Not into solid walls unless the wind is fierce... So would have shutters that would slide on tracks captured top and bottom so the wind cant take em off.

A 24 x 24 pipe corral would be perfect with one big gate/door for access from the truck for supplies... then inside 6 x 12 partitions .... one for some goats and the rest for Guinea fowl and some egg layers.... Then there would be enough space for a work table and a chair to sit and watch my critters...

deb

Hi all!!! Does anyone know where we could get two Barred Rock hens that are at least 8 weeks old? My Father in law has fallen in love with our chickens, he has built a coop and run in his back yard and now he just needs some girls to fill it, lol. I am in Riverside County and he is in OC and he is willing to travel a bit to get them. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom